Ads not appering

I guess my interest is in understanding Brave’s intentions. I was hoping I could get to the point where compensation to the sites I would visit would be covered by the ads I view. I don’t see this happening at present. My interest is not so much in blocking ads and cookies as this can be accomplished with other browsers. The block only approach ignores the appropriate expectation that content and service providers receive compensation.

@grabe,
As far as your initial post goes, I think that this is good feedback. Its worth mentioning that the information is available on our Help Center as well – which is linked to in several internal pages of the browser.

As for your last reply, can you try and elaborate on the issue you’re trying to highlight?

:point_up: If I understand correctly, this is the main issue you’re trying to point out – that the ads you receive don’t provide enough to contribute to the content creators of your choosing? And, further, this is the main reason you’re using the browser – not for blocking ads, but for the alternative way to compensate sites/creators?

So I suppose my first question is how much (roughly) have you made via Brave Ads so far?

I work on several computers, but the one I use most is now showing ads with 1.05 BAT. Even if this is doubled, I am a long way from the 20 BAT I contribute for the month.

in my issue, I did not recieve any bat in my account on brave, please help me to work it, thank you

I am in another spell during which I see no ads. I have been paying attention and I would estimate I have been using the browser for 15-20 hours during this period stretching over three days. I spend a lot of time searching, reading, and writing from within a browser so I would guess this amount would qualify me as a moderately heavy user.

@grabe,
Please take a moment to read through our Brave Ads FAQ for more information on how the Ads system functions.

Taken from that article:

“When I opt in to Brave Ads, my browser will show me ads whenever I use it.”

This is not entirely true. In reality, this statement should be:

“When I opt in to Brave Ads, my browser will try to show me ads which are relevant to me.”

The difference in wording may seem small, but there is a substantial difference conceptually. The goal is to show you privacy respecting ads that are relevant to the user in the right context (a “match” is found) – not to make sure that all users “see some ads” . Enabling Ads does not guarantee that you’re going to see ads – if the system does not find a match for you in the ads catalog, then you will not see any (more information on this below).

Further, you may see ads appearing regularly today, but tomorrow you may not see any – and that’s perfectly fine . In this situation, it really is a feature , not a bug . We appreciate everyone’s understanding of this distinction and implore you to keep this in mind before assuming that the feature simply “isn’t working”.

So, if I understand this correctly, Brave may not have ads relevant to what it thinks my interests are.

The problem with so many social services and Brave is no different is the lack of transparency in how things actually work. There is no actual data on the frequency of ad displays that would inform users as to what they might expect. Some specific should be what tech companies should be good at. How many ad displays existed by the number of hours of Brave use for some given time period?

1 Like

@grabe,
Yes, that does seem to be accurate.

The article is telling you exactly what it is that you’re describing. The most relevant part of this is that the goal is not to “just show you some ads”. It’s about serving relevant ads. Additionally, on the issue of transparency.

funny side note about that: I have zero interest in games and only surf on tech/business/money/news sites and the only ad I got in the last 7 days is about playing Forge of Empires… go figure…

LOL, and a minute after mentioning Forge of Empires I again got:

I’m confused. If that’s the case, then what was going on up until a couple months ago. Since April when I installed, I would regularly get between 100-150 ads per month during just my normal, at work browsing, getting something like 20-30BAT per month for that. The last few months, my browsing is exactly the same, but in the last 9 days I have only received 9 ads, about 1/3rd of what it would have been months ago.

@TheRealQubix,

Please consider the fact that this technology is completely new and still growing (and learning). In addition, if you’d like to assist the system, you can go to the very same page in the image you shared and click that “thumbs down” button on that ad. If you do, you’ll be less likely to (or potentially never) see those ads anymore. Additionally, you can also click the thumbs up/down button to nudge the system into the type of ads you’d like to see, and if you don’t want to see any of a particular ad, hit the “block” button:

1 Like

@absoluthamm,
Can you tell me what locale you’re located in? Additionally, are you referring to Ads in the desktop browser or mobile app?

I am in the United States, the Chicago area specifically and I am using the desktop browser exclusively. I also have never disliked or blocked any of the ads.

1 Like

Well I have brave on my phone and computer. I used laptop brave to watch yt a lot… and i receive literally no ads even i have it on. Although i am not on the ads supported region (Not us and other countries) but i receive the ads on phone. It is just kinda weird.

@SnowMato,
Can you tell me what region it is you’re located in?

I have not received any ads this month. I’m from UK and for the whole month of February my Brave Rewards has stagnated. Did I lost a month worth of BAT because of some bug?

@dragons,
Can you provide more information about your setup? What OS are you using? Does your Ads count in Settings --> Brave Rewards --> Ad Notifications received show 0?

win Annotation 2020-02-29 090736.png

I have bee using Brave for over 5h on daily basis, this is the first time I’m not receiving any contributions. The problem is I am not receiving ads, nor any contributions through the sponsored images.

Haven’t received any ads for more or less the month of April.
On another laptop - no problem. On my phone - no problem. On my main laptop - Windows 10 - no ads for weeks. Tried restarting laptop, reloading browser, re-installing browser. Notifications seem to be working okay.