About the Firewall + VPN category

Brave now offers Brave Firewall + VPN, available for download from the App Store. This partnership allows people to take back control of their own data, browse the Web, and use their apps more safely and securely.

When posting in this category

Please use this category for questions about how to use the Firewall + VPN, how it works, or if you encounter an issue and need help resolving it. Brave and Guardian team members will be here to assist you.

Note: Questions or concerns surrounding pricing and/or refunds should be directed at Apple support.

When reporting an issue, please be sure to include:

• The type of device you’re using (iPad pro, iPhone 10, etc)
  • The iOS version on that device ( Settings --> About --> Software Version )
  • A detailed description of the behavior
14 Likes

Does this VPN stop WhatsApp from seeing or using my data?.

4 Likes

Hi! This is a great question. The Firewall + VPN work together to block 3rd party trackers within the websites and apps you use on your device.

The VPN encrypts your information so that it cannot be snagged while in transit to the destination. If you are using WhatsApp, your information will move from your device to this app through the VPN and is fully encrypted. Only WhatsApp would be able to decrypt the information that you are sending to it such as you sending a message in a group. This would be the destination.

If this app includes a 3rd party tracker to grab additional data, this will be blocked each time it requests the data. If you want to use WhatsApp and are concerned about what WhatsApp sees, you will have to review and adjust privacy settings for this specific app.

6 Likes

*Keep up the good work guys i do appreciate! :100:

3 Likes

No. It’s not using your data.

how to deactivated vpn? some of site blocked my connection to them because of vpn.

1 Like

Hello! Please make sure your Brave app is up to date using v. 1.23.

If you are toggling the VPN off in the app and the toggle is turning it back on, please open device settings and navigate to general > VPN > tap on Brave Firewall + VPN. Toggle the On Demand to off so that when you turn off your VPN in the app, it will not turn back on until you turn it on.

2 Likes

Will support for censored regions like China etc. be offered?

1 Like

The Brave Firewall + VPN is available for purchase wherever the Brave browser can be downloaded from the App Store.

2 Likes

Not really an answer to my question. You can access Google play store in China with a VPN. However not all VPNs work in China. They are often blocked, so unless a VPN provider makes a concerted effort to play the cat and mouse game with the great firewall to keep their servers unblocked and use protocols that are stealthier to avoid detection and blocking, then they don’t offer support for censorship regions.

1 Like

My apology for the confusion. The app is not listed in the mainland China App Store and therefore would not be able to be downloaded and subscribed to in China at this time.

The Brave Firewall + VPN is currently only available for iOS devices that are able to download the app through the App Store and will not be found on Google Play, just yet.

We are working on implementing support for Android very soon.

2 Likes

Lol this

You see kid, despite the fact that VPNs are a security feature even Brave’s Uphold will ban you if you use one.
You can’t make this stuff up, they advertise a service that is not supported by their services.
As for Whatsapp, who on earth would use this spyware anymore?
Might as well use chrome and gmail.

As for Brave’s vpn and firewall?
Why don’t you fix rewards first and get the user trust back instead of jumping on another horse.
You ain’t going to beat other VPN providers and tbh I lost trust in your ability to develop things as they should be.
Another point is that you don’t make a peep about logs on the VPN page?
And 9.99 a month? Lol you want to beat the market or make people laugh?

I don’t know what happened to Brave but it’s going down the drain quick.

3 Likes

Hello. I am interested in Brave VPN but am unable to find it on my android device. It reads “Find it in settings” but it is not there. It reads “available on android” Is this out yet for Android?

Device: Samsung Note4 / Android 6.0.1
Brave Version: 1.39.123

Hello,

Thank you for you inquiry! It looks like you are using Android 6.0.1. Unfortunately, the Brave Firewall + VPN service is only backwards compatible to Android 7. If you choose to update your Android OS, you will have access to subscribe to the Brave Firewall + VPN service in the Brave Browser app.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Hello,

I would suggest adding a limited, free and non-tor VPN to the Brave Browser, as a new feature, which will be completely independent of VPN for computers and phones.

This option can be used instead of a proxy and for better privacy and annonimity as another option besides “Automatic redirect onion sites”, which there is nothing to complain about, but some sites do not work with it.

Thank you

1 Like

A so-called “meta-VPN” can be an interesting solution as far as such a deal is made with other companies that would agree to take part in it, but who would rightfully ask for their piece of cake.

Decentralized, predominantly P2P VPNs are becoming increasingly popular because they are simpler and easier to use, but such work is still unsafe.

It would also be good if the Brave Browser had one VPN option (no relations with Firewall VPN), in which it would be possible to choose the server manually or randomly (as it already has far inferior Avast Browser), but there is a special topic for this.

If you need a complete (all Apps) VPN and Adblocker just give Blokada a try, you’ll be amassed how it works on your mobile.