302 Redirects failing - blank screen

Description of the issue:

Brave does not appear to respect 302 redirects, even with Shields down. When using a site such as popurls.com which opens links in a new tab, calls a popurls affiliate link and redirects to the URL, the new tab opens, the affiliate link gets called and the 302 redirect gets set, but then Brave refuses to follow it and just stops, leaving a blank page. No other Mac browser does this (Chrome, Firefox, Safari) – only Brave (stable and dev).

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.

1. Visit popurls.com using Brave stable/dev on Mac
  2. Click on a link
  3. Affiliate Link will open in a new tab (e.g., http://popurls.com/go/pop/le261d470f62f85007f0415053c45324a)
  4. Affiliate link will set a 302 redirect to the actual content link

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Brave refuses to follow the 302 redirect, resulting in a blank page.
Reloading the tab will force the 302 redirect

Expected result:
As with all other browsers (Chrome/Firefox/Safari), the 302 redirect should be followed immediately and not require a page reload.

Reproduces how often:
100% of the time

Brave Version(about:brave):

• Version 0.60.4 Chromium: 72.0.3626.17 (Official Build) dev (64-bit)
  • Version 0.58.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.98 (Official Build) (64-bit)
  • Version 0.57.18 Chromium: 71.0.3578.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
yes

Additional Information:
I’ve tried debugging this, but the new tab opens without the developer tools open, so I am unable to see where the failure occurs.
Note that I have also set Shields down for popurls.com.

Please note that the behaviour below is on Windows

If you either set shields up or down in the new tab opened for the affiliate link, the page that must be opened by the affiliate link gets displayed. If the shields are up when the new tab opens, set shields down, remember shields should be set up or down in the new tab, or if the shields are down, set shields up.I know that this is not a solution when concerning Brave since its shields feature cannot be used But just wanted to inform.

• If the shields are down in the popurls.com’s tab, then when the new tab is opened for the affiliated link put shields up in the new tab, the page intended to be displayed by the affiliated link will get displayed.You will see that the shields would go up in the tab that has popurls.com opened too.This can work in reverse also

• If shields are up in popurls.com’s tab, then set shields down in the new tab opened, The page the affiliated link is intended to display will get displayed But you will note that the shields would go up automatically just at the instant the page starts loading.But shields would be down in the popurls.com tab

The difference in the two scenarios is, if the shields are up in the popurls.com tab then when the page has finally loaded in the newly opened tab, the shields would be down in the popurls.com tab But if the shields are down in the popurls.com tab, shields would be up in both the tabs.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.