Update error, brand new installation on Windows 7 x64

Brand new Windows 7 x64 install. When I go to About > Brave and check for updates I get the following error:

An error occurred while checking for updates: Update check failed to start (error code 3: 0x80004002 – system level).

Version 1.19.88 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling a few times and the same thing keeps happening. It also won’t store passwords or allow me to turn on ads for BAT.

Any advice?

@Sluggo ,
These issues are likely all related. Also, if you’re using version 1.19.88, then you are on the most recent version of the browser. Typically that error will show when the browser can’t fetch the update files online. This can be due to Anti-virus software blocking the connection, sometimes even connecting through a VPN can cause this issue.

I would suggest downloading the standalone installer from our official Github page which doesn’t require an online connection to apply the updates. Run that installer and you should be good to go. Once everything is updated properly, check again to see if Brave Rewards functions properly.

1 Like

I just uninstalled with Revo Uninstaller and installed using that standalone installer (even though the installation window said “Connecting to the internet”) during install.

I have a VPN but it wasn’t running while I downloaded or installed and it’s currently turned off. I don’t run any always-on antivirus software, just an occasional scan with Malwarebytes. I don’t remember the last time I had a virus.

All that being said, I’m still having the same issues.

1 Like

For what it’s worth, I just ended up upgrading to Windows 10 because I was so frustrated. It’s not the most elegant solution but it ended up fixing whatever the problem was. I’m sure it was some Windows level error.

1 Like

Glad you got it fixed but I do feel bad that you had to go so far out of your way. You’re probably better off in general w/Windows 10.

1 Like