Wrong fonts in Brave Desktop browser

Hi!

On Linux (Ubuntu LTS 22.04) the Brave desktop browser shows Serif fonts in Google Docs (Docs, Sheets) where it should be Sans Serif. Chrome shows the correct font. Brave mobile shows the correct fonts.

Version 1.64.109 Chromium: 123.0.6312.58 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This has been going on for maybe ten days?

Thanks for any help,

Dirk

1 Like

Have you tried going into the Appearance>Font>Custom Fonts settings in the browser and changing the Standard Font to Arial from the default Times New Roman? That worked for us.

1 Like

Thanks! This doesn’t work. (There is no Fonts under Appearance, only under Speedreader, and this doesn’t do anything.)

The problem must be specific to Google Docs and Sheets. If I tell Google a font should be Sans Serif or Courier New, it still gets rendered as Serif (i.e. Times New Roman). Other content renders correctly.

In Chrome, Google Docs works correctly, in Chroimium (Linux) it works correctly, in Brave it doesn’t.

1 Like

My mistake. The menu you’re looking for is labeled “Customize Fonts” and for some reason it doesn’t come up when I search it in the Settings Search. It’s there though, just under Speed Reader and Font Size in the Content section of Appearance. So if you found Speed Reader, go into the Customize Fonts menu just below it.

Thank you, you were correct. This setting gets through to Google Docs and Sheets (which probably speaks well of Google). Now, the Brave setting under fonts is “Custom” and I don’t know what this means. I can change it to a font I like, alright, but I’d like to get Arial as I’m used to it, not Liberation/Deja Vu/Noto Sans or any of the other Linux Sans Serif fonts.

I guess you are a Windows user? It probably says Arial for you? (Which I don’t have.)

Sigh, when I test the font using Google itself, I get

Google Sans;Roboto;RobotoDraft;Helvetica;Arial;sans-serif

I don’t have Google Sans, Roboto it is. Still looks a bit weird.

I’m using Fedora. You may have to download some fonts to your system. Whenever I set up a new system I have a folder of fonts I’ve collected over the years. You can put them in /home/[Username]/.fonts and run fc-cache to make the system update the fonts available to it. Odd that Arial isn’t already in there though. If you’re on Ubuntu I think there’s a package called ttf-mscorefonts-installer that’ll install it. You’ll still have to update with fc-cache though

Not sure if this is a viable solution for you, but in my case the correct fonts (running Fedora 39) reappeared by putting the shields down.

2 Likes

Ha! This worked for me as well. Thanks!!

2 Likes

Guessing you had block fingerprinting set to strict? Because on standard it shouldn’t have an impact like that.

Finally a solution! It worked, thanks a lot @eholcroft for the solution, and thanks to @dirkriehle for posting!