Why does Brave connect to all domains in my bookmarks?

Brave is connecting to bookmarked domains which I don’t have opened in tabs, and haven’t opened anytime recently. Looking at the list of domains, they clearly correspond to my bookmarks. Just curious, why does Brave do this? Can I disable it?

A related thread: Opening list of bookmarks makes Brave connect to bookmarked website without my permission

Version 1.60.118 Chromium: 119.0.6045.163 (Official Build) (arm64)

Where/when do you see this happening? The first reason why I would expect something like this to occur would be to load the favicons for each of the domains. For example, so that the browser can display those icons in the toolbar, and/or on the bookmarks page. Do you wipe out all locally-stored data when the browser closes? If so, that might result in unexpected calls to those domains from time to time (for the purpose of retrieving icons).

2 Likes

I can’t tell when it happens exactly, seems periodic. I am seeing it via little snitch. I don’t clear data on close. That makes sense about the icons, especially since it’s connecting to the root domain and not the actual bookmarked URL.

I was mainly curious why it was doing this. The icons sound plausible. I wonder if this might be a privacy/security issue though.

Anyway, thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.