When trying to open Brave Nightly it instantly closes itself

Was working as intended yesterday but all of a sudden today, when i try opening the brave nightly build , it just closes itself. Don’t exactly know the build number as i can’t check it.

3 Likes

@Zephyr2 ,
Can you try launching with a clean profile and see if the browser crashes still? To do this without opening the browser or using the command line:

1. On your Windows system go to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-browser\User data\
  2. Either copy/save the Default folder found here (this holds all your user data for your default profile), or rename it to something else.
  3. Try again to launch Brave Nightly.

Once you launch the browser again, it should attempt to create and launch a new Default directory, which should have no prior browsing data. Let me know whether or not the browser launches or if it crashes in the same way.

2 Likes

if i rename the default folder and if the nightly build works how do i get all of my previous user data?
do i just delete the new default folder and rename the previous one with my data to “default”?

1 Like

@Zephyr2 ,
Yes, that should work. For additional safety, you can make a safe copy the entire \Brave-browser\User data folder – that way, if anything goes wrong or doesn’t work, you can simply paste and replace the altered User data dir with your safe copy and everything should be good and as you left it.

2 Likes

Renamed the “Default” folder and tried opening Nightly, the issue still persists it just instantly crashes/closes it self.

2 Likes

@Zephyr2 ,
Thank you for testing – I’ve reached out to the team for additional suggestions

2 Likes

Alright, Thank you for your assistance.

1 Like

@Zephyr2 ,
Can you tell me if there is anything in the following directory?

C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-browser\User data\Crashpad
2 Likes

there is reports folder , metadata and settings.bat

1 Like

I am having the exact problem. I was browsing like normally then all of a sudden the crashes started. It has happened in the past as well. I recall uninstalling and installing again but I did that now and it does not work. Any fix yet?

1 Like

since it’s updated to:

Version 1.21.35 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) nightly (64-bit)

it crashes at launch
only mode to fix it was to rename/move/delete folder called “User data” from:

> "C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser-Nightly"
even like this it will close itself after a few minutes. problem is you loose all saved passwords

Win 10 x64 Version 20H2
After a clean reinstall with everything removed, it still autocloses itself after a few minutes, 5 minutes was the longest it stayed opened

Same issue here Win 10 64. I figure it is their problem and they will fix it if they want people to use their product. Going back to Brave or Chrome for now.

1 Like

same problem Win 10 64 Version 20H2

1 Like

Same problem here Win 10 64. Started a few hours ago.

Same problem here Win 10 64. Also happened a few updates ago, redownloading Nightly and installing didn’t fix the crashes

Hi, same problem, nightly shuts down in seconds after launch, just started today on win10 64

Can confirm issue here as well. Brave closing a few seconds after launch on W10 x64 20H2. Please advise when issue is resolved. Reinstall (keeping data) did not fix issue. Issue present on multiple PCs with same OS.

Same problem here. After the last update I open brave nightly and it crash in a few seconds.
W10 x64
Looking forward for a solution!

Exact same problem. This appears to be a build issue, not a user data issue.

Brave Devs wanna fix this in a incoming update i think.