What are everyone's must-have extensions (Windows)?

And should I add the Ublock Origin extension, or is it redundant with Brave?

I love Bitwarden, it’s a great open source password manager.

3 Likes

Keep in mind the more extensions you add, the higher chance for problems and reduced efficacy for privacy (makes it easier for fingerprinting).

That said, I use DeepL because it helps a lot on translations for typing. It’s been incredibly useful here as I have been helping people from different countries and languages.

Then I also do a lot of shopping online, so went with ibotta for their cash back.

That’s it…

There are some features uBlock can do that Brave Shields doesn’t, but overall you don’t really need it. Most of the filters you’ll have applied and used on it are used here on Brave.

1 Like

Some good responses here.

I think though it depends on your usage patterns and what you’re looking for.

For example I have a ‘main’ profile with very few extensions; but also a ‘Shopping’ one where I have a ton of extensions for coupons, deals, and so on. A lot of them are admittedly not very privacy-sensitive, but since those are in a different profile, they do not have access to my main browsing profile.

1 Like

A few thoughts:

Top of the list, Brave is built on Chromium. Chromium enables installed extensions to ‘update’ with no user intervention. This is in stark contrast to Mozilla / Firefox which does permit (as an option) user control over installed extensions updating.

This leads to: good extensions go bad.

The Case for Limiting Your Browser Extensions

Abusive add-ons aren’t just a Chrome and Firefox problem. Now it’s Edge’s turn

A 0-day, malicious extension, and sync abuse are keeping Google developers busy

Is Your Browser Extension a Botnet Backdoor?

Chrome extensions with 1.4M installs covertly track visits and inject code

Next, the title of your query suggests you’re only interested in Windows-related extensions. To my knowledge, browser extensions are operating-system-agnostic.

With these considerations in mind, yes, I do have some extensions installed. Seconding the suggestion from @Barroux concerning Bitwarden [Offered by: https://bitwarden.com], I’ll generalize: consider - seriously - installing a password manager that doesn’t tether you to a specific ecosystem be it an operating system or a browser. I, too, use Bitwarden but there are alternatives that get favorable reviews from credible sources. On this, I’ll only put my thumb on the scale weighing in favor of a stand-alone password manager. Make your own choice.

You asked - specifically - about uBlock Origin [Offered by: Raymond Hill (gorhill)]. For this extension, there are … alternatives … that look to be similar. Get the real thing:

Also worth considering: NoScript [Offered by: Hackademix]

A real ‘plus’ to both uBlock Origin and NoScript: each allows users to export / import personalized preferences with instances of these extensions in other browsers.

Agreeing with the comment from @Saoiray both uBlock Origin and NoScript somewhat duplicate some of Brave’s capabilities which is to say: while I value what both these extensions do, added to Brave, they’re somewhat redundant.

Next on the list: Brave claims to block autoplay. That blockage is somewhat porous. AutoplayStopper [Offered by: yochaim] plugs the holes.

Under the heading of ‘usability’, Brave started out using Muon rather than Chromium as its engine. That arrangement permitted Brave to offer - as an option - shifting focus to a newly-opened tab. When Brave switched from Muon to Chromium, the option to shift focus to a newly-opened tab was lost. Tabs to Front v2 [Offered by: DougCuk42] restores both this option and my sanity.

Other extensions may appeal - both for utility and aesthetics - but be aware: all extensions entail some risk. I’d suggest: limiting risk (and extensions) is prudent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.