Uploading files to webservices with filenames containing danish letters æ, ø, å

I have been having troubles uploading files to webservices (Proton Mail, Proton Drive) with Brave browser for a long time. The solution until now has been to open Firefox instead and uploading the files there which works fine. I have been trying to find solutions on various forums but without any luck.

Today i wondered if this could have anything to do with the use of danish letters æ, ø, å in the filename and that seems to be the thing. When trying to upload a file, for example file:///home/user/testø/filename the site crashes but when uploading the file from a folder without ø in the foldername, for example file:///home/user/test/filename it uploads without problems.

I am using Version 1.45.131 Chromium: 107.0.5304.110 (Officiel version) (64-bit) on Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS

1 Like

Hello there @dovendovendoven please accept my apologies for this issue. Could you please try opening your main profile in private or guest mode to see if you are able to upload those files without issue? If you are able to do it, try disabling your extensions to see if this is the cause of the issue.

You can open a Guest Window by going to Main menu --> Open Guest window:

1. On your computer, open Brave.
  2. At the top right, click Menu → More tools → Extensions.
  3. On to the extension you want to remove, click Remove.
  4. Confirm by clicking Remove.

Be waiting for your response.

Hello Kevin

Thanks for your help.

I have just tryed both in Guest Window and in a Private mode to upload a file named “testa” and “testø”. “testa” uploads fine but when trying “testø” it crashes with error page.

Is it some sort of problem with the coding of an “ø”? When I drag the file in here it is as following:

file:///home/user/test%C3%B8

1 Like

Hi again @dovendovendoven could you please provide me with the crash ID from that crash to investigate further?

Go to brave://crashes and send the crash report, once you’ve sent it, please provide me with the ID.

Hi

I am sorry for the waiting time.

When trying to send the crash report i says as following:

"

Nedbrud (1) Vis udvikleroplysninger

Nedbrud fra mandag den 5. december 2022 kl. 20.56.46

Lokal nedbrudskontekst: b3b25d63-aba0-49f1-834a-13d6d5f95b36
"

I pressed the “send”-button but it does not say that the report has been sent, only that I requested it.

1 Like

Could you please try uploading the files on a chromium based browser such as Chrome to see if the issue is related with Chromium or with Brave?

Hi Kevin

Haven’t thought of that.

I have just testet with Chromium Version 108.0.5359.71 (Officiel version) snap (64-bit) and it uploads the “testø” file.

1 Like

Hi again

There seems to be a problem with other letters as well. Just tried “testä” and that fails too.

1 Like

It only fails to upload on Brave or happens on Chrome as well? Also, try installing the Beta or Nightly version of Brave to see if you are able to upload the files there.

Hi Kevin

Just tried the Beta and it uploads fine there.

So this problem is going to fix itself when the beta is going stable?

1 Like

@dovendovendoven Yes, if it works on beta, it means that any problem that was causing this issue will be solved when the actual beta version gets released, at this time I kindly suggest you wait until the new update comes to see if it no longer repeats on Brave release.

If you have other concerns, please let me know.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.