Updated Brave and now all saved passwords are gone

Troubleshooting technical issues is much easier when both the user and support agent practice clear communication. For this reason, we have provided the template below for you to fill out with information about your issue. Please provide as much detail as possible so we can most efficiently resolve your problem.

Delete the any text above the line separator below before posting

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1.Update Brave browser
2. Check on password history
3. All passwords were removed

Expected result:
Brave is updated and passwords are still there

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.16.76 Chromium: 86.0.4240.198 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:

Try and see if you didn’t make a new profile accidentally? That’s the only thing that comes to mind… If you are able to recover your password because of this, I’d still suggest using a bookmark manager… It stores in the cloud which gives some people the willies, but you’ll have an extra place to recover bookmarks from unforeseen issues… plus it makes bookmarks available to other browsers/devices you might use…

This one is free ($) if you have under 500 bookmarks… so ymmv…

It doesn’t look like a new profile was created since I still have all my bookmarks. I will say that my brave rewards are not showing properly though and I get an error when on the brave rewards section that says " Uh oh! The Brave Rewards server is not responding. We will fix this as soon as possible."

Oh… is this an autofilling thing? auto sign in enabled in brave://settings/passwords? might need to also build the password relationships again… no clue really… :thinking:

edit: also for some reason i was thinking bookmarks instead of passwords… I suggest using something like lastpass, etc…

It happened to me as well just after Brave upgraded to 1.18.70 this morning. :frowning: (Windows 10)

Thanks gmacar!
Let’s hope Brave will provide a fix quickly

It is unclear if it depends on Brave or Chromium. Anyway, I hope Brave fixes it too; I certainly don’t want to lose my passwords again.

DON’T USE THE BROWSERS BUILT-IN PASSWORD MANAGER!!! you should use a password manager like LastPass or 1Password they’re way more secure.

Firstly, there’s no need to shout.

I already use external password managers (no browser extensions, thank you), and I prefer to save a few passwords instead of typing them all the time.

My phone was being kinda glitchy. It for some reason would only let me type with caps lock on for the first number of characters. I eventually figured out how to fix it but didn’t end up deleting the first part of the post.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.