**Description of the issue: ** Unable to open pdf files which has cyrilic characters in its name How can this issue be reproduced?
You need to have a pdf file which has cyrilic characters in its name on your PC.
Try to open this file with Brave browser.
You get to file:/// page instead of pdf being open
Expected result: pdf file being open in Brave browser.
Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.46.144 Chromium: 108.0.5359.128 (Official Build) (64-bit)
If pdf gets renamed so there would not be any cyrilic characters in its name, it then opens perfectly fine in Brave browser
Operating System: Arch Linux
KDE Plasma Version: 5.26.5
KDE Frameworks Version: 5.103.0
Qt Version: 5.15.8
Kernel Version: 6.1.11-arch1-1 (64-bit)
Graphics Platform: X11
Processors: 8 × Intel® Core™ i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
Memory: 15.5 GiB of RAM
Graphics Processor: Mesa Intel® UHD Graphics 630
Manufacturer: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd.
Product Name: GF63 Thin 9SCXR
System Version: REV:1.0
so i updated to v1.48.158 (Feb 7, 2023) (could not update to the latest one since it is not in AUR yet) and it didn`t help
Also tried Brave browser Beta v1.49.99-1 and Brave browser Nightly v1.50.38-1 and both of them have the same exact behavior as standard Brave browser.
I can open those pdf files perfectly fine with any other software (libre office draw, by example)
i am unable to choose if i want to open pdf in a private mode or not when using “open with → Brave” menu option, so i dont see how i can try that, thou i am able to open a pdf file via drag & dropping it in a already open private session and it actually works fine but it also works in a normal session too, the issue occurs only when opening the file the usual way (double clicking if brave is the default option or right clicking and selecting the program to open it with), not when drag & dropping into open brave window
i also checked how it works with a new profile and got exactly the same behavior
honestly, i don`t think there can be an issue with my local extensions or settings since, as i wrote in the previous post, i tried doing it in Brave beta and Brave Nightly where i had all the default settings and no extensions, and it worked the same way as in my main browser
Surprisingly it works fine with new linux user, i tested it with the same exact files and there is no problem.
btw i noticed that the files that i am not able to open also does not show up in brave when using it as files manager (basicly typing something like “file:///home/username/…” in address field), you can see that the files are there (as it shows their date of edit) but in does not show their names. no such problem with new linux user also.
so it must be some setting in kde or smth that breakes it but i can`t really tell what that might be
so i found the solution. uncommenting all lines that start with “ru_RU” in /etc/locale.gen and rebooting made it work
weird that i only encountered it in Brave and that it works fine with a new linux user (who does not have those locale setting setup)
Thanks for your help!