This page uses too much memory so brave removed some content

When I open a site on brave browser, It displays the following message at bottom.

This page uses too much memory so brave removed some content
After choosing to Show original and letting full page reload, next time it does not pops.

Description of the issue:

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Just Install brave browser on phone and going for any site,
  2. Using Private browsing.

Reproduces how often: Everytime I open a site (even on Google.com which should not take much memory).

Brave version: 1.0.89, Chromium 73.0.3683.90

Device Model: Nokia 1 Android 8.1 Go edition

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no): Yes

Additional Information: I have seen that this issue does not occur on some phones that I have which are full Android unlike Android Go on my phone. This never happened in earlier versions of brave in my phone.

cc @Serg @sriram @Mattches on this.

Unable to reproduce on my device. Maybe specific to this device/OS.

@NinjaByte,
Thanks for reaching out. This is a known issue but we’re still gathering data on it. Would you mind telling me – if you have it installed – if Chrome throws the same error on your device?

1 Like

This is not reproduced in Google Chrome or any other Chromium based browser like Kiwi which I have tested.
Thank you.

1 Like

I tried the same Brave version on other phones which had full Android unlike my Android Go variant. Also my phone RAM is 1 GB so it might be a phone issue as well.

Clear android app cache for brave and I think it is a ram issue. What is the ram size of your device

@Dgenies
After doing that, it does not solve the problem. Even after reinstalling.
My RAM is 1GB with Android Go.

How many apps are open in the background?

@Dgenies
As it is a 1 GB RAM phone, 2 or 3 apps at max. Otherwise phone becomes slow. My typical use is one app at a time with WhatsApp or other app to see some message. Otherwise the second app is also not there.
I think it’s an issue with automatic tab discarding.
There was a flag chrome://flags/#automatic-tab-discarding in Desktop for this feature but not available in Mobile version of chrome or brave.

Just switched phones. Had Moto e4 now Moto E5 go. Getting same message. Brave is worthless if I can’t turn the message off. I can’t even use it now.

Sorry to hear this I would request the to remove that notification be enable. I do not use Android go. The closest device I have to Android go is Android one and this problem doesn’t exist. @mattches please read this and add my suggestion into the next update if possible

2 Likes

I tried brave browser latest version on an old phone with identical specs such as 1 GB RAM but with full version of Android not like Android Go. The problem doesn’t exists on full Android.

Even latest beta release of Brave ( v1.0.90-rc.5) does not have the issue solved.

@NinjaByte,
It’s likely that the Android Go OS is causing issues – I’ve reached out to the Android team to confirm (or deny) this and/or for any additional input. I appreciate your patience.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. I hope it gets resolved. I like Brave best for browsing.

1 Like

Hi, this has bugged me too since latest system update on …1st April :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:… android 8.1.0 (Nokia 1 TA-1060) Would like to stick with Brave so hopefully some kind genius will sort it soon.

Any update on issue @Mattches.
I have jumped from browsers to browsers, Kiwi, Bromite, Samsung Internet, Firefox and so on. But none of them powerful yet simple as brave. I seriously want to come back to latest version.
Currently I have taken refugee in older version of Brave (v. 1.0.88) from github.

1 Like

Hey everyone, the issue is fixed now in brave version 1.0.93 based on Chromium 74. Available on Github here.

Thanks to the brave team for their bravery.

Another user on Twitter (also using a Nokia 1, Android Go device) reported the same experience while browsing the Web in Brave on Android.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.