Insane Brave Broswer RAM Usage

Description of Issue: Brave Browser is taking up almost 1 gb with RAM alone when I open Brave, not to mention taking up almost 6 GB while using it for work and multiple tabs open. How can I fix this?

Brave Version: Version 1.49.132 Chromium: 111.0.5563.147 (Official Build) (64-bit)

How much RAM it takes with one tab open on home screen:

Hello @clingadfirst

Thank you for reaching out and I’m sorry to hear you are going through this. Could you kindly clear cookies and cache to see if the issue persist? Additionally, please try creating a new profile by going to main menu > create a new profile , to see if the issue persist.

Be waiting for your response!

I’ve created a new profile and still around 500 MB of RAM usage

Here is my RAM After clearing my cache/cookies on my main profile. still see 500+ gb of ram with single tab

@clingadfirst Press Shift + Esc and it will open Brave’s task manager. Check there to see what’s using up your RAM. For example, screenshot of mine is below:

Each one of the extensions will be related to 1/2 processes. Same thing occurs in Chrome. Its done this way to prevent a buggy extension bringing down the browser.

apparently its just an extensive which takes up an insane amount oif memory, almost the same amount as the browser itself. thanks for the help!

so is there any actions i can take to reduce the memory usage? i already turned off the hardware acceleration thing

@clingadfirst There’s only little things. For example:

If an extension is using a lot, you’d want to think about changing its settings, disabling when not needing, or just remove it.

If using multiple tabs, consider using Memory Saver.

You Enable High Efficiency Mode in brave://flags

After which, you’ll see Performance as an option in settings and will be able to toggle Memory Saver on.

Also keep in mind that disabling hardware acceleration isn’t always a solution. You just do that if your device can’t manage, such as if you have a poor graphics card or other peripherals. Otherwise you should see higher performance and less issues while using hardware acceleration. I know I never turn mine off.

Lastly, keep Shields up and have it running strong. It’s able to help reduce a lot of activity on your device as you browse through various websites.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your feedback! I didn’t know brave had these many options.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.