Slow new tab issue

Description of the issue:
opening a new tab takes anywhere from 5-30s for it to become functional.
here is a video showing it happening: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTzj3AHe8pw
this issue becomes most apparent after opening a new instance of brave for the first time.
this person also had a similar issue with a AMD card using ATI: Opening a new Tab is way too slow
however I am only using one graphics card so this is likely unrelated.

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open brave
  2. Open new tab
  3. try to type in url or visit bookmark
  4. tab is unresponsive for a period of time
  5. new tab loads and is usable as normal.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.25.72 Chromium: 91.0.4472.101 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Processor Information:
CPU Vendor: AuthenticAMD
CPU Brand: AMD FX™-8320 Eight-Core Processor

Operating System Version:
Windows 10 (64 bit)

Video Card:
Driver: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
DirectX Driver Name: aticfx32.dll
Driver Version: 27.20.12029.1000
DirectX Driver Version: 27.20.12029.1000
Driver Date: 9 9 2020
OpenGL Version: 4.6
DirectX Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
No SLI or Crossfire Detected

Memory:
RAM: 16283 Mb

Storage:
Total Hard Disk Space Available: 2135585 Mb
Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 1064318 Mb
Disk serial number hash: 8cfc3bde
Number of SSDs: 1
SSD sizes: 240G
Number of HDDs: 1
HDD sizes: 2000G

@bidp,
Thank you for reaching out to us.

Can you try disabling Hardware Acceleration in settings to see if this resolves the issue?

You’ll find this in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Mattches, I gave it a go but it doesn’t seem to have made a noticeable difference.

1 Like

@bidp,
Interesting – can you please try disabling any extensions you currently have installed temporarily and testing to see if this changes the behavior?

1 Like

Thanks Mattches, there is a marked difference in loading time for a new tab now; I’ll look into what extensions are causing this and contact their devs separately, however it is still taking around 5-10s per tab and will stop loading a website, requiring the bookmark to be clicked a second time as shown in the video.

1 Like

@bidp,
That’s still too long for a new tab to open – it does likely have to do with the extensions you have installed. Clearing cache/browsing data may also help with this.

For a catchall test, you might try creating a new temp. browsing profile and test to see if new tabs open in the new profile quickly as expected.

1 Like

Hi Mattches,
Sorry this took a while. Here is a new video showing it happening on a fresh profile: https://youtu.be/2zqvEacbB6U
the tabs are loading quicker, some half a second but other take a few.
it also show that the tab load halting; you’ll notice some of the tabs stop loading steam, requiring the url to be pasted a second time.
Thanks, Ryan.

In the video you shared testing with the new profile, there does not appear to be any issue. In the video, your tabs are gradually loading slower because you have a bunch of instances of the Steam website (a relatively demanding site with several graphics, scripts and videos that need to load) rendering at the same time.

This tells me that it’s either an extension that is causing the slow tab loading, or general data clutter in the browser, which could be helped by clearing cache/browsing data in your original profile.

I agree the slowness is most likely extensions, or cheche related. however the video also shows the other new tab issue I’ve been experiencing: “load halting; you’ll notice some of the tabs stop loading steam, requiring the url to be pasted a second time.”

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.