Site detects ad-blocker when shield is down

Description of the issue:
My music streaming site, LiveXLive, requests that I disable ad blockers. I turned off the Brave Shield for that website. It used to work fine from there, but now, the website says I still have an ad blocker running. I am seeing some ads play (mostly videos, and then audio within the music stream), but others aren’t (image ads in the sidebar). I think the image ads have always failed to display, it’s just new that the website is telling me they’re still detecting an ad blocker.

I do not have any other ad blockers installed.

Exact URL of the website in question:
https://www.livexlive.com/

Screenshot of the ad as it appears in Brave

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?
No, which is the issue

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):
I have not played around with that.
Here are my settings (except, for this one site, Shields are off):

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?
Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):
Version 1.19.88 Chromium: 88.0.4324.96 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Desktop

Investigating, no ETA. thanks for the report.

2 Likes

@thequestess you have Privacy Badger enabled and this is known to trigger anti-adblock popups.

@jaybird correct that will have issues.

@thequestess Test without privacy badger installed, shields should now work with the site.

1 Like

Thanks. I didn’t even realize what that was, I guess I forgot I ever installed that.

Brave is now working with this site with shields up AND with Privacy Badger on. I don’t know why. But, if this happens again, I will try disabling Privacy Badger too.

1 Like

@thequestess Privacy Badger is redundant and useless in Brave. Relying on Brave’s built-in features makes you less identifiable/track-able than with added “privacy” extensions. My 2 cents.

Thanks @jaybird for the tips!
I’m wondering if that thing came over when I switched from Chrome. No idea…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.