Several dozen extra empty windows ("new tab') after relaunch and restore

This has happened several times now. When I relaunch Brave, it will reopen my previous windows but also an extra 50 or so additional empty windows with nothing buy a “new tab.” Everything will be very slow with so many windows. I can close all the extra windows and then everything will be fine for a while. After working for several days, I may notice Brave slowing down and the task manager will have a bunch of tasks with “Tab: New Tab”. I can end those processes, but Brave will still be slow. If I restart Brave, I’ll get the same issue as before.

This is on a mac.
Brave: Version 1.45.127 Chromium: 107.0.5304.110 (Official Build) (x86_64)

@mm_la,
Thank you for reaching out. This is a super strange issue — lets try and narrow down the possible causes:

• Do you have any extensions installed at this time? If so, can you try disabling them and tell me if the behavior is the same?
  • If you create a new profile, do you see this same behavior when you open Brave to that profile?

Thanks. All my extensions are disabled and require click to enable. I generally don’t use any extensions and when I do, I close that tab after. I also have other profiles that don’t have any extensions and I’m seeing the same issue on those as well.

In Task Manager, if I click on the rows of “Tab: New Tab” it will be one block. I can’t highlight individual “Tab: New Tab” rows. If double click on that block of rows, it will create a new Brave window with a single empty tab.

Here is a clip from the Task Manager. This seems to be a single task. If I click on it, it opens a window with a single empty tab. If I “end process” for this, nothing seems to happen. What is this?

I wonder if this is related to the settings “Close window when closing last tab”.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.