Select and Speak extension with Brave

bug
performance
#1

Select and Speak - Text to Speech

I use this extension on Chrome, Opera, Vivaldi and Firefox without incident. However, I cannot get it to work with Brave. I have removed and reinstalled the extension and disabled the shield but it does not seem to help.

I rely on this extension to read for me after a stroke left me with alexia.

I am using the latest version of Brave on Linux Mint 19.1.

I can use the naturalreaders.com to read for me but I like the browser extension and it has been very useful and reliable for me.

Thanks,

David

#2

Hello, Kanecomp.

Apologies for the issues you’re facing with the extension. Can you share a bit more about what the problem is, and how Brave is not yielding the expected results?

Sampson


Update

I just downloaded the extension and tested on Windows 10 (17763.316) and Brave 0.59.35. I didn’t see any obvious issues. Testing in Brave and Chrome side-by-side, the extension appears to work as expected. I largely tested on Wikipedia, and used both the context menu button as well as the browser UI button to invoke the reader. Everything worked the same in Brave as it did in Chrome.

#3

Thanks for your interest.

As I said, when using this particular extension, it does not seem to work in Brave, where it does with other browsers. The extension is called Select and Speak and reads text to me. Then selecting text to be read, nothing happens. The extension works in 3 other browsers with no problem, thus I am assuming that Brave is doing something that prevents it from reading text to me.

Thanks again,

David

#4

@kanecomp,
I too was able to use the extension. I did notice that initially it would not play any audio and I thought it wasn’t working. I pause/unpaused playback a couple times and tried again and the extension started working as intended.

1 Like
#5

I saw this too; immediately upon installing the extension I was shown a modal prompt in the active page window. I tried selecting text from that prompt, but the play button in the context menu would have no effect. When I switched to another tab, it seemed to work. I assume the script for invoking the speechSynthesis API works off of the tab-change/focus event, which is not fired until you jump to a new tab.

@kanecomp Can you try the following steps:

  1. Remove the extension from Brave
  2. Restart Brave
  3. Install the extension
  4. (Once the extension is installed) Navigate to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript
  5. Click the play button at the top-right of the browser window

If you do this, you should hear the page being read aloud. If you do not, there is definitely a problem. I would be more than happy to help you explore the issue further via Skype or another means if necessary.

1 Like
#6

That does work! Thanks for the suggestion! --David

1 Like
#7

Strangely, after trying Mattches suggestion (see above), the extension seems to be working again. Kind of like kick starting a bike I guess. However, if it occurs again, I will proceed as you have suggested.
Thanks again!
–David

2 Likes
#8

Very happy to hear that it’s working. If you run into any further issues, please do not hesitate to reach out! Thank you for the support, and for helping to make Brave a better browser for all.

2 Likes
closed #9