Region not supported - please help!

Suddenly I see this:

Error: region currently not supported
Your Gemini account can’t be connected to your Brave Rewards profile at this time. Your Gemini account is registered in a country that’s not currently supported for connecting to Brave Rewards.

See the current list of supported regions and learn more about connecting a custodial account to Brave Rewards.

Everything was working fine previously. I’m logged into my Gemini account. What to do?

1 Like

@H76t3 Are you trying to connect a new browser to Rewards? Or is this the same browser/device that has always been connected? Keep in mind that there’s https://brave.com/rewards-changes/

If you haven’t reset your phone or Rewards, haven’t uninstalled Brave, etc and have long had your device connected, then it’s possible it can remain. But if it’s a new connection to a newly installed version of Brave or something, then you won’t be able to connect to Gemini unless you’re in the United States

1 Like

It is a new browser.

However, I have to admit that I’m currently tempted to remove Brave from all my devices because I stopped seeing benefits of using it, struggling to be in control of my rewards, not being able to get hold of BAT tokens in any way!

1 Like

Ok, that’s why then. Only can connect new browser to Gemini if you’re in the United States. If you’re elsewhere, you can’t connect it. If you’re in a supported country, you may be able to link to Uphold. To see if your country is supported, you can check https://support.brave.com/hc/en-us/articles/6539887971469

That said, Brave is working on adding more support. It’s been in progress for over a year. Nobody has a timeline for when support will arrive again for each country, but it is being worked on. From what I’m hearing, there should be good news by the end of this year for at least a few countries. But we’ll see how it goes.

1 Like

I’m not in the United States, I don’t want to be in the United States and I’m not planning to.

Perhaps soon Gary Gensler will call your browser illegal or unregistered securities and will ban it anyway.

1 Like

Can I use virtual cloud machine located in the supported region to set up browser, sync rewards, transfer it out to the supported organisation?

Umm, no. In order to connect to Uphold or Gemini you have to be from a supported country. So even if you use things like VPN or virtual machines, that won’t do you any good because Gemini is going to be using your passport and all. The API reports which passport you used to verify with and narrows you down to that country.

So, you suddenly removed support for some countries, without warning users and you have frozen their access to their own BAT tokens?

This is not true. You still have access and can send tips to Creators if you wish. However, in order to receive them you have to be supported by custodial partners that have contracts with Brave. This is part of what you agreed to in your Terms when signing up for Rewards.

When custodial partners cut off access to countries and Brave had to revamp, people lost the ability to make those withdrawals. That said, Brave has been working on getting new partners and also getting connections to countries enabled again.

As to without warning, not at all. This has been going on for more than a year and a half. People were given notices. Just like the idea of sunsetting vBAT, the notices already went out early this year. https://brave.com/rewards-changes/

Just because you didn’t see or pay attention to notices doesn’t mean they didn’t exist.

The end result is the same - no control over BAT that I have accumulated.

You are right, I didn’t pay attention enough. But how exactly “notices went out”? Using what channels?

It depends on origin. Many of the times, it’s announced here on topics. But in other cases, it’s done through Brave’s site, just like the link I shared in my previous comment.

In some other situations, places like Gemini sent out emails. For example, I shared a copy of emails being received by people in a topic here at PSA: Venezuela no longer supported by Uphold (or Gemini)

And then I also shared notice that had been given to people about Russia at PSA: Uphold stopping Russia service

I shared information from a Reddit post made by the Rewards product manager at PSA: More info on Unsupported Region

You had Community posts by Brave to advise of issues with Uphold and Gemini at NOTICE: New region restrictions on verifying Brave Rewards with Gemini and NOTICE: New region restrictions on verifying Brave Rewards with Uphold

Then I maintained a topic that I kept editing and adding. You can track through all announcements being given. PSA: Unsupported Region

But some of the more important would be the two by support, the new region restrictions on Uphold and Gemini. If you read through it, you’d see where they said no new connections could be made and anyone with existing connections would be unable to reconnect if they became disconnected. So this let existing people know that they would/could eventually lose access to withdraw BAT and that their regions weren’t supported.

Just jumping in here, you said a new browser, do you have a copy of your old Brave info and if so have you tried copying your old brave setup back into your new browser. You haven’t stated what OS you are running so that would be useful information.

I visited this site for the 1st time in my life to seek help after losing control of my BAT tokens.

No, I don’t have access to any of the old files, it was old device that got replaced with a new one and wiped clean.

That’s a shame, if you had your old data you could have copied it back and been right as rain, I do it on a regular basis as I’m on Linux and a bit of a distro hopper. Wish I could have been more help.

1 Like

I was pretty sure, that having full sync on it will all be seamless. But I was wrong. Anyway, thanks for your efforts. Appreciate it.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.