PSA: Venezuela no longer supported by Uphold (or Gemini)

Hey all! Gemini already had not been servicing Venezuela and now Uphold has announced they no longer will be supporting Venezuela due to U.S. Sanctions. A copy of the official notice can be seen below:

We´re very sorry to tell you that Uphold has decided to withdraw from Venezuela owing to the increasing complexity of complying with U.S. sanctions.

Venezuela was one of the first countries to embrace Uphold and we love serving our customers there. We are taking this step very reluctantly.

We hope to return to the market as soon as U.S. policy changes allow.

Our top priority now is to help every Venezuelan customer to withdraw their money quickly in compliance with U.S. law.

The ability to trade will be halted on July 31st, and all accounts fully restricted from September 30th. After this date, the process to withdraw assets will be slower since you’ll have to go through our customer service team.

What Happens Next?

From today, we’re no longer accepting deposits from Venezuelan residents and will be closing all accounts with a zero balance.

If you have a balance, we request that you withdraw your funds by July 31st. You may be required to answer a few simple questions to help us process your withdrawal in line with U.S. Regulations.

To do so, you should convert any funds into a Tier 1 asset (USD, GBP, EUR) to remove via an existing, linked bank account in your name, or into a Tier 3 asset to withdraw to an external crypto wallet. Asset tiers are explained here.

Should you have any questions during the process, please contact us using this form which will make sure we prioritize your case.

We have also prepared this FAQ which you may find helpful.

We’re really sorry to have to give you this news. Please rest assured that we will do everything we can to support you.

Team Uphold

What this means for everyone using Brave is that you will not be able to receive your BAT in Uphold anymore and won’t be able to connect to Gemini. You’ll be joining what feels like 2/3 of the world that is blocked from having those accounts.

Brave is looking for more options for exchanges and custodial wallets. However there are a lot of obstacles to overcome to make this happen. Not only due to legal restrictions, such as the sanctions being placed, but also because there has to be business agreements made that benefits all involved.

Brave is looking for alternatives but for now you will just have to wait and be unable to retrieve BAT from your browser. This means no turning it into cash. Your BAT will continue to arrive in your browser and you can still earn BAT. It just will require patience until things get resolved. How long is unknown, as it may be months or even years.

8 Likes

¡Hola a todos! Gemini ya no daba servicio a Venezuela y ahora Uphold ha anunciado que ya no dará soporte a Venezuela debido a las sanciones de Estados Unidos. Una copia del aviso oficial se puede ver a continuación:

Sentimos mucho comunicarles que Uphold ha decidido retirarse de Venezuela debido a la creciente complejidad de cumplir con las sanciones de EE.UU. > > Venezuela fue uno de los primeros países en adoptar Uphold y nos encanta servir a nuestros clientes allí. Esperamos volver al mercado tan pronto como los cambios en la política de EE.UU. lo permitan. > > Nuestra principal prioridad ahora es ayudar a todos los clientes venezolanos a retirar su dinero rápidamente en cumplimiento de la ley de EE.UU. > > La capacidad de operar se detendrá el 31 de julio, y todas las cuentas estarán totalmente restringidas a partir del 30 de septiembre. A partir de esta fecha, el proceso de retirada de activos será más lento, ya que tendrá que pasar por nuestro equipo de atención al cliente. > > ¿Qué ocurre a continuación? > > A partir de hoy, ya no aceptamos depósitos de residentes venezolanos y cerraremos todas las cuentas con saldo cero. > > Si tiene saldo, le pedimos que retire sus fondos antes del 31 de julio. Es posible que se le pida que responda a algunas preguntas sencillas para ayudarnos a procesar su retiro en línea con las regulaciones de los EE.UU. > > Para hacerlo, debe convertir cualquier fondo en un activo de nivel 1 (USD, GBP, EUR) para retirarlo a través de una cuenta bancaria existente y vinculada a su nombre, o en un activo de nivel 3 para retirarlo a una criptocartera externa. Los niveles de activos se explican aquí. > > Si tiene alguna pregunta durante el proceso, póngase en contacto con nosotros utilizando este formulario que nos asegurará que prioricemos su caso. > > También hemos preparado este [FAQ](https://support.uphold.com/hc/en-us/sectio Por favor, ten por seguro que haremos todo lo posible para apoyarte. > > Equipo Uphold

Lo que esto significa para todos los que usan Brave es que ya no podrán recibir su BAT en Uphold y no podrán conectarse a Gemini. Te unirás a lo que parece ser 2/3 del mundo que tiene bloqueadas esas cuentas.

Brave está buscando más opciones de intercambios y carteras de custodia. Sin embargo, hay muchos obstáculos que superar para que esto suceda. No sólo debido a las restricciones legales, como las sanciones que se están poniendo, sino también porque tiene que haber acuerdos comerciales que beneficien a todos los involucrados.

Brave está buscando alternativas, pero por ahora tendrás que esperar y no podrás recuperar el MTD de tu navegador. Esto significa que no podrás convertirlo en dinero. Tu MTD seguirá llegando a tu navegador y podrás seguir ganando MTD. Sólo se requiere paciencia hasta que las cosas se resuelvan. No se sabe cuánto tiempo, ya que pueden ser meses o incluso años.

3 Likes

Yes
My Uphold account was created when I lived in Venezuela
I currently live in Mexico but on the Uphold platform you cannot change the address.
I sent mail to Uphold but I’m afraid there is nothing to do

And I’m afraid that the cause of my “wallet-unlinked” is this notice

2 Likes

Well, see if they could update the information for you. Especially if you has passport or ID that shows your current address. I know they don’t let you manully update it but I’d think if you provide info and go through KYC/AML they’d update.

Thanks @Saoiray

hope to solve this problem

1 Like

Going into depression mode in 3…2…1. :expressionless:

4 Likes

greeting

mee too :frowning:

I hope it will be solved soon

1 Like

This is bulls*it. Now I not have reason to keep using this browser. you can’t even use the brave wallet to receive your bats. TREMENDOUS STRATEGY!

2 Likes

Just a FYI, that’s because they would have to get special licenses and even at that, they’d not be able to provide service. Brave is an American company so they would be bound by United States laws. Unfortunately, the reason why places like Uphold no longer are offering service is because of United States sanctions.

Brave is working on something but they don’t want to reveal too much now, as not sure how it will go. If it works, it would provide an option other than a custodial wallet like you see with Uphold and Gemini. Also in the works is an option to allow P2P tipping and all. Just have to be patient and see what happens.

Again, not their choice. It’s governments that are very annoying and causing problems.

3 Likes

Excelente este foro, ahora la pregunta será cómo será nuestro futuro con Brave? Así podamos canjear nuestros BATS a otro sitio, porque Gemini no está disponible o si se puede a la Brave Wallet mucho mejor. Debemos contactar a todos

Voy a citar mi post que estaba justo antes del tuyo, sólo para tenerlo también en español. Creo que respondía a tu pregunta.

Sólo para que sepas, eso es porque tendrían que obtener licencias especiales y aún así, no podrían dar servicio. Brave es una empresa estadounidense, por lo que se regiría por las leyes de Estados Unidos. Lamentablemente, la razón por la que lugares como Uphold ya no ofrecen servicio es por las sanciones de Estados Unidos.

Brave está trabajando en algo pero no quieren revelar demasiado ahora, ya que no están seguros de cómo irá. Si funciona, proporcionaría una opción distinta a una cartera de custodia como la que se ve con Uphold y Gemini. También se está trabajando en una opción para permitir las propinas P2P y todo eso. Sólo hay que tener paciencia y ver qué pasa.

BAT will remain within the browser. It should be disconnected from Uphold so your BAT will not go there. If that works we it should, then you will need to claim the BAT each month in Brave Rewards and you’ll be seen as unverified (Unverified). Truthfully, there has been errors in these types of incidents in the past where Brave still tries to send to Uphold even though you can’t receive it. When that happens there will be a delay in your receiving payment and it may be necessary to submit a support ticket so Brave can trace it and unlink your account. I am hopeful that this will not occur this time, but be advised it can happen.

BAT permanecerá dentro del navegador. Debería estar desconectado de Uphold para que tu BAT no vaya allí. Si eso funciona como debería, entonces tendrás que reclamar el BAT cada mes en Brave Rewards y se te verá como no verificado (Unverified). A decir verdad, ha habido errores en este tipo de incidencias en el pasado donde Brave sigue intentando enviar a Uphold aunque no puedas recibirlo. Cuando esto ocurre habrá un retraso en la recepción del pago y puede ser necesario enviar un ticket de soporte para que Brave pueda rastrearlo y desvincular tu cuenta. Espero que esto no ocurra esta vez, pero ten en cuenta que puede suceder.

3 Likes

Unfortunately nobody has any idea how long it will be until another option is available or regions become available in places like Uphold. It will require patience and hopeful thinking. The only thing we do know is that Brave is looking for options and that it is important to them. All of these regions not supported is not good for their business, as they need many users and available regions in order to profit. Though as much as we say that, it is easier said than done. So I would prepare to think it will be months or even years before things happen, though hope it will be much sooner. I just don’t want to tell anyone it will be in a month or two and then have things not happen. It can seem discouraging, but I do suggest being patient and waiting for it.

Por desgracia, nadie tiene ni idea de cuánto tiempo pasará hasta que haya otra opción o regiones disponibles en lugares como Uphold. Habrá que tener paciencia y pensar con esperanza. Lo único que sabemos es que Brave está buscando opciones y que es importante para ellos. Todas estas regiones no soportadas no son buenas para su negocio, ya que necesitan muchos usuarios y regiones disponibles para poder obtener beneficios. Aunque por mucho que digamos eso, es más fácil decirlo que hacerlo. Así que me prepararía para pensar que pasarán meses o incluso años antes de que las cosas sucedan, aunque espero que sea mucho antes. No quiero decirle a nadie que será en un mes o dos y que luego las cosas no sucedan. Puede parecer desalentador, pero sugiero tener paciencia y esperar.

Nada dice “Latinoamérica” como caer en dictaduras comunistas…

1 Like

Bueno, en mi caso yo ya me desconecte de UpHold y creo que me voy a retirar del programa de rewards, para que voy a ver publicidad o recibir algo que no podré cobrar?

Hey bro, disculpa lo de ayer y la descarga. Me moleste con justa razon, se comprende el tema de las sanciones. Okey uphold vale tres hectares pero lo que me molesta es que cuenten con tan poquisimas opciones y que la Brave wallet sea un adorno.

Seria mas facil que Brave creara su propio exchange IMO. Un abrazo Saoiray!

3 Likes

Sería mejor o más fácil para nosotros, pero no para Brave. Si Brave hiciera eso, tendría que hacer KYC/AML para todos los usuarios. Además, tendrían que declararse como empresa y obtener todas las licencias para cada país. Todos los ingresos tendrían que ser reportados y sería muy complejo. No es sencillo hacer un banco o un intercambio. Además, aunque lo hicieran, no se eliminarían las sanciones. Esto significa que si Estados Unidos tiene sanciones sobre Venezuela y Brave tuviera su propio intercambio, tendrían que prohibir a Venezuela también debido a las reglas del gobierno.

It would be better or easier for us, but not for Brave. If Brave were to do that, they would have to do KYC/AML for all users. In addition, they would have to file as a business and obtain all licenses for each country. All earnings would have to be reported and it would be very complex. It is not simple to make a bank or exchange. Plus, even if they did, it would not eliminate the sanctions. This means if the United States has sanctions on Venezuela and Brave had their own exchange, they would have to forbid Venezuela as well because of the government rules.

4 Likes

Nice post, hopefully, Brave is well aware of this and is actually motivated to do something about it. They already own me 2 months of rewards for whatever reason my rewards weren’t paid and now this Uphold bull*. All this years getting the service and now that apparently USA is easing their gripe over the country they Uphold decides that now is time to go. F* Uphold and F* USA, F* Gemin and any other institution that takes part in this kind of criminal behavior that only cause damage to the people of the affected countries instead of their govermments.

India also not supported now. A huge user base will be lost.

1 Like

Oye, mente de esclavo, imagino que bajo Putin y Xi Jingpin tu cara color cartón mojado serán tratadas con mucho amor, según tú.

2 Likes

I wonder why… Do you have any information about it?

1 Like