Reddit unresponsive when typing u/ in reply

Description of the issue:

Reddit freezes and shows unresponsive when trying to reply to people using u/

Exact URL of the website in question:

In this situation, was https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/comments/ygaezy/having_freezes_or_crashes_at_youtube_video_start/ but it happens under any place on Reddit where I’m trying to respond to someone.

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? (yes/no)

Yes

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

Yes

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no):

No

Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

Yes

Brave version (check About Brave):

147.27 and 1.45.116 This has been happening for a while now.

It’s not guaranteed to happen, but seems random. The longer I’m on Reddit, the more likely it is to occur. I’ve tried with New Profile and originally it worked with no issues, but then eventually happened. Tried with Shields off and Shields on, but still experienced the issue. Toggled different filters on/off and didn’t seem to matter.

Whenever this issue happened, I was unable to do anything on the page. So no right click, couldn’t pull up console, etc. Today, I made sure Console was open so I could try to see any error that appeared. You’ll see a screenshow here below of what happened. It seems this one particular error keeps populating, even to where it’s over 1,000 instances now as I’ve left it running in another window.

Essentially, the text is:

Ns @ react-dom.production.min.js:187
Gs.i.componentDidCatch.n.callback @ react-dom.production.min.js:201
zo @ react-dom.production.min.js:125
Fo @ react-dom.production.min.js:125
Wa @ react-dom.production.min.js:238
t.unstable_runWithPriority @ scheduler.production.min.js:20
ho @ react-dom.production.min.js:113
$a @ react-dom.production.min.js:230
Na @ react-dom.production.min.js:206
(anonymous) @ react-dom.production.min.js:114
yo @ react-dom.production.min.js:114
bo @ react-dom.production.min.js:113
Ra @ react-dom.production.min.js:204
enqueueSetState @ react-dom.production.min.js:127
w.setState @ react.production.min.js:13
b.safeSetState @ loadable.esm.js:167
(anonymous) @ loadable.esm.js:226

If necessary, I can try to run it multiple times and see if it’s the same error, but it is getting annoying. Typically I just could copy/paste the URL, close Brave, open new window, paste in link, then it would let me u/ and type or choose a person’s name with no issues. Yet, as I would check other posts or go to different subreddits, it would eventually happen again when I’d try to u/

Cropped version of that screenshot, in case it helps it to be seen better.

@Mattches I had mentioned this to @fanboynz but not seeing any responses or info. Usually this behavior did not result in any crash reports or anything, but I’m seeing that it did register a crash today, which I think is correlated with this particular issue, as it happened twice so far today.

What I can’t quite understand is why the most recent doesn’t seem to be uploading but instead has been stuck on Upload requested by User.

Photos 11_2_2022 10_56_10

Anyway:

Uploaded Crash Report ID: dde80800-c482-0f09-0000-000000000000

I’d really like to get help on figuring out what’s happening here.

Guessing maybe have to exit Brave, because closing all windows and then opening again resolved. Newest one is

Uploaded Crash Report ID: cffd0800-c482-0f09-0000-000000000000

And from Nightly version:

Uploaded Crash Report ID: cffd0800-c482-0f09-0000-000000000000

Uploaded Crash Report ID: e2fe0800-c482-0f09-0000-000000000000

Photos 11_2_2022 11_01_42

Interesting. I’m not seeing this issue on my end — just to confirm, this only happens when you try to tag a user (via /u[user name])? I’m also wondering if you have your Shields settings configured differently for Reddit (perhaps everything is set to Strict)?

@Mattches As said in my initial post, it happened regardless of Shields being on or off, with various settings, in New Profile, Private Window, etc. I’ve definitely gone through all the troubleshooting steps usually mentioned and tried to eliminate issues where I could.

I even installed Nightly hoping it would help. But the issue seems to persist whether on Release or Nightly.

Correct. I’ll go in and maybe the first time, can type in u/Username with no issues. But then I’ll read more comments and go to reply, and as soon as I type u/ the site freezes and I can’t do anything. The / doesn’t even show up in the text, only the u.

And, just had 2 more occur.

Uploaded Crash Report ID: db370000-f0bb-1809-0000-000000000000

Uploaded Crash Report ID: bc370000-f0bb-1809-0000-000000000000

Crashes - Brave 11_2_2022 13_31_36

And I just was messing around again. Shields off, Extensions disabled, but as you see here:

Had just typed u and as soon as I hit / it froze. I mean, can’t see any issue on screenshot but it just constantly flickers. If I had Console up, it shows what I posted in my first, typically.

So now we have Uploaded Crash Report ID: 993c0000-f0bb-1809-0000-000000000000 for one where it happened with no extensions and with Shields off.

It’s fair to say that this is incredibly easy for me to replicate. Hoping that giving you guys all these crash report ID, someone can look into it when possible.

Looking into this and passing the crash reports onto the appropriate team members. That said, we did just release an update to v1.45.118 — can you please update and test again to ensure this does not resolve the issue?

1 Like

Yeah, will do. As I said though, happening on both Nightly and Release. Those last few ID were with Nightly. That said, I did just update Nightly and Release, will test on them both now, then also provide Crash ID that hopefully will generate then. Also will try to have Console up and going ahead of time, so can screenshot those errors to go along with it. (assuming it will happen, which I’m assuming it will since has existed several Versions now)

Nightly = Version 1.47.39 (No Shields, No Extensions:)

Uploaded Crash Report ID: 45410000-f0bb-1809-0000-000000000000

Ns @ react-dom.production.min.js:187
Gs.i.componentDidCatch.n.callback @ react-dom.production.min.js:201
zo @ react-dom.production.min.js:125
Fo @ react-dom.production.min.js:125
Promise.then (async)
b.loadAsync @ loadable.esm.js:217
b.componentDidMount @ loadable.esm.js:147
Promise.then (async)
Promise.then (async)

Release = Version 1.45.118 (Shields on. Using iBotta and DeepL Translate extensions)

Shield settings (which I’ve changed before, they don’t matter. Just as you see Nightly crashed despite no Shields. But yeah…)

Uploaded Crash Report ID: N/A on attempt #1. This time it completely froze and wouldn’t even close. I had to Ctrl + Alt + Del then force closed to exit Brave. Guess it didn’t allow a Crash Report ID as a result.

Uploaded Crash Report ID: (will try again, assuming doesn’t go severe freeze like last time)

@Mattches Weird, just crashed it twice in a row but it’s no longer generating crash reports on Release. But it’s same info as before, so guessing shouldn’t be much of a problem if they work off of the rest of the info. And yeah, new updates didn’t make a difference.

1 Like

Looks like you’re getting OOM (out of memory) errors in the stack, which is strange, especially given that you see the issue in private windows, with extensions disabled etc.

We are unable to reproduce the issue here on our end. Will need some more time to dig into this.

Just out of curiosity, can you tell me what specs your system is running? Additionally, how much memory the browser is taking up would be useful too (browser task manager).

• Processor: 11th Gen Intel(R) Core™ i9-11900KF @ 3.50GHz 3.40 GHz
  • 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 XMP at 3400MHz; up to 128GB
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 10GB GDDR6X
  • Windows 11 Pro
  • 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
  • 2TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

The list goes on. This is a custom built gaming PC. So yeah, performance generally not an issue anywhere.

I can see about having it running when issue happens. In general though, you’d be seeing something like:

With normal Task Manager as:

It is amazing to see it claims 60% of memory is being used by Brave, but that’s also a bit confusing for me as numbers shown shouldn’t be anywhere near 60%, lol.

Now, let me see if I can have Brave’s Task Manager up and running while I get it to replicate.

In terms of the crash, yes, it seems whatever is causing the crash is bringing cpu up according to Brave’s Task Manager, as it’s as you see below:

Task Manager - Brave 11_2_2022 16_07_00

I will say on the bottom left, very briefly, I’ll see it occasionally show one of the three messages below:

Such as screenshot:

Screenshot 11_2_2022 16_15_03

So I’m guessing it’s jumping up while it’s trying to handle whatever is going on there. Then eventually, if I leave it running and use other windows/tabs, I guess it does go to the Oh snap page and mentioned memory like you’re saying.

Out of curiosity, how was it attempted? For me, I’ll be able to make 1-2 comments with u/Username with no issue. But then the 2nd or 3rd attempt, that’s where the issue happens. Whether it’s all on the same post or if I go from one subreddit to another.

If you don’t comment and just simply keep typing u/ it works perfect. Open a fresh browser and go, it works perfect. Haven’t really tested much in regards to commenting, leaving, and eventually going back.

Guess you can say it feels like the browser is punishing me if I go to be a Redditor. One comment/post, then I need to come back to Brave Community! lmao. Joking aside though, that is how I replicate it. Reply to someone and tag them with u/ and then go to another comment and write. Within the 2-3 attempts, usually will occur.

@Mattches I had tested on Chrome before and no issue, but I just tested again and it has an issue somewhere between. So when I went to make the additional comment, suddenly is kind of started to regularly refresh itself.

Unlike with Brave, in Chrome I could still engage with the page to try to delete or type between refreshes that happened every 1-3 seconds. I also was able to pull up Console while in Chrome while this issue was happening, whereas Brave just completely froze and wouldn’t let me engage in any way except to scroll up and down.

That said, I guess it might be a Chromium or Reddit issue. In the issue I had on Chrome when I just tested it, ended up seeing this in Console:

I just wish I could understand where things are going wrong and if anything to be done about it. But I guess for now it’s just having to avoid u/ or I’m going to have to close the current window and open each time. It’s annoying as heck and hoping Brave can figure it out in the future, especially if it might have anything to do with some of the other people complaining about high memory usage in their browsers and/or crashing.

1 Like