Watching YouTube Livestreams

Whether I watch or listen in the background, Livestreams or Livestream VODs, the entire tab it’s running on freezes completely along with the “Page Unresponsive” error (sometimes it doesn’t at all). Waiting doesn’t fix it and refreshing the tab doesn’t fix it meanwhile all my other tabs would be working just fine.
I either copy over the link to another tab or reopen the browser and it’s okay, but this didn’t happen before, it’s a recent and continuously reoccurring problem, now happening every few minutes I would watch a Livestream.
I have cleared the cache, browsing history, and all that, still happening. I didn’t change my wifi either. What else should I do? Is it a YouTube problem?

@InfiniteIsSushi I’m going to assume you’re on Desktop, but in the future, it really helps if you make sure to choose a proper category and then to fill out the template that this site generates for you. For example, it would have been nice to know what OS you’re using as well as which version of Brave. The reason being that solutions and suggestions change based on each. It also would have asked if you

Assuming on desktop, the best starting point is usually to open in a Private window and see if it has any issues.

Next step, if that doesn’t work, is to create a new browser profile (hamburger menu, create a new profile) and to test it.

In many cases, this resolves the issue. What it tends to tell us is the person has an extension running that’s causing interference.

Of course, other things to keep in mind:

• Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off?

• Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no)

• Does the site work as expected when using Chrome?

• Are you using VPN?

NOTE
I moved your topic over to Web Compatibility rather than Uncategorized. I’m assuming since you capitalized “Livestream” you’re referencing https://livestream.com/ but I’m not entirely sure. So it will help if you can confirm which site(s) you’re experiencing issues with.

I’m really sorry, I should’ve read closer and will do better next time. Thank you for letting me know because I’ve never posted about technical issues myself.

OS Build 19045.2251
Brave Version 1.45.127

I’m also sorry about the confusion too, my problem is watching livestreams on YouTube.com.
It’s working fine on Private window and in a new browser profile. Interesting to know it could be an extension interfering because only Google Translate and Grammarly have full access. Can extensions under “no access needed” be a problem? Is it something solved by removing/uninstalling the extensions or not?
I might just continue watching from a different profile otherwise. Thank you so much for the help! I really appreciate it!

All good. I spaced out too because you had YouTube in your Title. Originally I saw it but then I looked and focused only on your post rather than title, hence my screwed up thing of saying Livestream as the site, haha.

Yeah, if working on those then it’s 99% certain one of your extensions are causing the issue. You can go to brave://settings/extensions and disable them there. Then just turn them on one at a time and try to figure out which is breaking it. Ideally when both are off, it will run just fine.

Access doesn’t matter. Any extension you add can cause problems. It’s all to do with their code vs Brave. It doesn’t take much for there to be a conflict. That’s one of the many reasons why people say to use extensions at your own risk.

Yep, if you can identify the specific extension causing problems, you can remove it. Or, if you’d like, just can remove all extensions.

Side Note
If you’re big on privacy and want to reduce fingerprinting, it’s important to remember that the more extensions you have, the easier you make your device/browser to be tracked. Typically want to use as few as possible, which is part of why Brave keeps trying to add a lot to the browser core.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.