New Private Window with Tor broken on Mac? "tor-0.3.5.8-darwin-brave-0" can't be opened

It appears that this feature no longer works on Mac? I have tried re-installing it but I continue to get the error message which prevents the new Tor window from connecting to the internet?

Error: “tor-0.3.5.8-darwin-bracve-0” can’t be opened because APPLE cannot check it for malicious software. This software needs to be updated. Contact the developer for more information.

Mac OS = 10.15.1

Brave version = Version 1.2.43 Chromium: 79.0.3945.130 (Official Build) (64-bit)

See pic of error:

I have the same problem. I have tried re-installing, no joy.
After that window you have pictured, if I proceed anyway I get a false message saying you have no internet, (but I definitely do) and a suggestion to check proxies. No joy on that either.

Be nice if someone could help out with more suggestions. Thanks.

2 Likes

Correct. That is exactly what I am experiencing.

1 Like

Tor-mode just got updated a few minutes ago, hopefully it works now(?)

Hi @Santa1601 the team was able to successfully notarize the tor-client binary which fixed the issue for some users but some users are still running into this issue. Currently, we are following up with our friends at Apple to see if we missed anything. We are tracking this https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/7987. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks Steeven, that is a very helpful reply. It seems to be working for me now however.