Private extensions won't update

We have a private extension in WebStore which only available to “trustedTesters”

Brave never updates such extensions in private list.
Even “update” button on extensions page doesn’t work.

Is there any way to let Brave update private extensions?

I personally love to use and encourage people to use Brave but it seems we need to switch back to Chrome since our extension updates can not be delivered to our users.

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Publish a private extension to Chrome webstore (trustedTesters)
  2. Install extension to Brave
  3. Send a new update to extension
  4. Brave never updates extension. It always on installed version.

Expected result:
Brave should update private extensions.

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.35.101 Chromium: 98.0.4758.87 (Official Build) (arm64)

2 Likes

We have the same issue at my company. We have an extension published on the Chrome WebStore that you can only view while being logged in with Google SSO, once installed it never updates even when clicking “Update” in developer mode.

It looks like the private nature of the extension is the problem here. I guess Chrome can do it if you’re logged in the browser, but here Brave doesn’t manage our Google account so maybe it can’t fetch the updates?

I suspect you’re right; this is probably due to Brave not using the Google Account of the user. Unlisted extensions work without issue, but anything that requires authentication would likely run into obstacles.

I’d love to hear more about this scenario. When somebody is added to the list of Trusted Testers, do they receive an email? And does that email ask them to navigate to the Chrome Web Store, and install the extension? If so, what does the user see when they visit that same extension page at a later point, when an update is available?

In our case we don’t use Trusted Testers, but domain restrictions of Private extensions:

So with domain restriction people don’t receive any email, we give them the link of the extension on the Chrome Web Store, which they can acces only if they’re logged in with their Google account. The page always looks the same, except the published version number which of course increases for each update.

Google doesn’t send email to users but we do since we are accepting applications through our website: https://beta.designerdailyreport.com

Users only see Remove from Brave button even if update is available after install.

Unfortunately our beta users who uses Brave can’t get updates and stucked the version they installed and report bugs to us :confused:

Hopefully, we can have them back.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.