Permanently disable Tor

For personal reasons, I want to know if there’s a way to permanently disable Tor. I know how to toggle on/off, but I want to get rid of it completely. Does anyone know how to do this? Or can I at the least get a version of Brave w/o Tor?

1 Like

i am not sure if i got what you mean but
go to settings -> extensions -> Private Window with Tor turn this off

hope that help and have a nice day

I know about that. What I’m looking to do is get rid of it entirely. Don’t even want the option. I don’t want to see it at all.

i got you now thanks for explaining
not sure that they will remove it

Hi folks,

You should be able to completely disable it by going to brave://settings/extensions and then disabling Private Window with Tor. Once that is disabled, you might need to restart the browser

Changing that won’t remove the executable though. You’ll need to go to your profile directory and then find the folder with the Tor executable. It’s safe to completely delete this

For example, I’m on Windows and the directory would look like this:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\cldoidikboihgcjfkhdeidbpclkineef

The seemingly random string of letters after User Data would be different if you’re on macOS or Linux

I understand that the desire is to not even see that option. Another possible way to disable this would be to make an entry on either your router or your local machine for the /etc/hosts file (on Windows C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) and make tor.bravesoftware.com non-routable. That would mean putting in a new entry like this:
0.0.0.0 tor.bravesoftware.com

If this is set, on a fresh install Tor is un-attainable and will never show in the UI. The only other alternative would be to disable via group policy. We currently only have information about how to disable this on Windows

Hope this helps
Thanks
Brian

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.