Pages abruptly stop loading after a few seconds

Description of the issue: When trying to connect to a page, Brave simply stops trying to connect after 5-10 seconds. It does not partially load then return the “something went wrong” error message, it just stops trying and I’m left with a blank screen.
How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open a blank (new) window in Brave
  2. Type in URL (e.g. gmail.com) and hit “Enter”

Expected result: Page loads

Brave Version( check About Brave): 1.22.71

Additional Information: This issue is not specific to gmail and occurs on other, common sites like wsj.com.

@CameFromNowhere,
Can you try visiting any of these sites while using a private browsing window and tell me if you get the same results?

Yes, the hang time seems to be a little longer but the end result is the same - the attempt to connect aborts and leaves me at the “this is a private window” page.

I’ve also tried with less popular sites and that does not seem to change anything if that helps.

@CameFromNowhere,
Similarly, can you try creating a new, temporary browsing profile and test to see if you get the same results there? Ensure that you close the original window you had open (such that only one Brave window, using the new profile is open).

Unfortunately it is still happening.

I’m not sure if this helps but on the sites that did load using the temporary profile, the loading time was much longer (5-10 seconds vs 1-2 seconds)

@CameFromNowhere,
That’s very strange. If it was just your original profile, I would say we’re looking at a cache/browsing data issue and/or an extension issue. But if you get (roughly) the same behavior using a fresh profile then it must be something else.
Do you have any anti-virus software running on your PC at this time?

McAfee Personal Security was installed by default on my machine but it does not show up in task manager so it shouldn’t be interfering

Other than that just the default antimalware service executable

Following up, in the temporary profile it is one very specific website causing issue while others seem to be loading properly if slowly.

If we assume that it’s just one website having/causing issues, what would you recommend?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.