Occasional hogging of 8gb ram!

I have like 4 extensions installed, the same I use all year, and this happened visiting the same sites, 3 tabs with facebook gmail and any other. On a normal day I repeat this like 6 times and all good, but 3, 4 times a week, the Pc gets all “frozy” and resource manager shows Brave browser taking almost 8GB ram!! Why? and why only sometimes? I see no logical explanation for this. My only way out is to force exit Brave, all else is just too slow.

1 Like

It could depend on the content (videos, photos etc.) of those “3 tabs with Facebook”

1 Like

Might be a Hardware Acceleration issue but it’s hard to tell based on the information you’ve provided. Is it a specific site or action that you seem to be doing at the time that may be causing this? Which Operating System and Brave version are you using when you see this behavior?

1 Like

Hi I’m running Windows 7 64bits, have an I5 processor and 8gb ram and this never happened to me in the past, I’ve been using brave for a year or more maybe. One tab that is usually constant when this happens is facebook, the others vary, but usually never more than 3 tabs at the same time, see here on this screenshot I got just now. Brave version is
Versão 1.17.73 Chromium: 87.0.4280.67
Oh and this time I closed just the almost 7GB process and it didn’t affect Brave browser at all, it all kept working fine.

Mattches via Brave Community <brave@discoursemail.com> escreveu no dia quarta, 2/12/2020 à(s) 20:24:

1 Like

My assumption is that it’s either an issue with one of the extensions you have installed and/or some “bad data” stored in your cache. To troubleshoot, try the following:

  1. Open Brave, go to Menu --> Create new profile and create a temp. profile.
  2. Close any other open Brave windows so you only have one window with the new profile (which will be fresh with no extensions installed, no browsing data, etc) up.
  3. Visit Facebook, login, and browse as normally – essentially try and recreate the conditions in which it most regularly occurs and see if the issue reproduces. If it does, it’s likely one of these causes. If it does not, it points us in a more accurate direction.


A Hardware Acceleration issue as initially stated. This is easy to test as well:

  1. On the profile you normally use, go to Settings --> Advanced --> System --> Hardware Acceleration and toggle this option “off”.
  2. Ensure you relaunch the browser when prompted.
  3. Visit Facebook, login, browse normally and see if the issue reproduces.
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.