No Brave ADs since I started using a VPN (2nd Entry)

Description of the issue:
How can this issue be reproduced?
I have not received any Brave ADs since I started using a VPN, I am using the ProtonVPN. I expect that I am being blocked by Brave’s security software based on the source IP address of the ProtonVPN service, this happens at several sites.
ProtonVPN has the ability to exclude encryption to specific IP addresses. So, please either give me your IP addresses so that I can add them to my excluded list or allow the source address of my VPN to send and receive BraveRewards banners 91.219.212.195.

Expected result:
With the Brave ADs traffic excluded from my VPN, the Brave ADs server will see my true Comcast IP address as the source IP address of Brave ADs requests and allow my Brave ADs to function correctly.

Brave Version( check About Brave ):

Version 1.24.85 Chromium: 90.0.4430.212 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
If you are not comfortable with providing the IP address of your Brave ADs service on the live board please email it to me or provide an alternative solution.

Thank you

1 Like

Brave Rewards does not support the use of a VPN at this time. Essentially what is happening is that the VPN is blocking the refilling of the ads catalog. Here’s the workaround. Once per day, you need to perform the following steps:

1. Close Brave
  2. Turn off your VPN
  3. Reopen Brave
  4. Wait until you start seeing notification ads (approximately 5-15 minutes)
  5. Turn your VPN back on

I know it’s a hassle to do this every day (the catalog holds only about a day’s worth of ads), but it’s the best that can be done until the devs find a way to make Brave Rewards work with VPNs.

Thank You Rosie! I will do this.

I am CCIE #14105, I have been building VPNs for companies for over 20 years. Anytime I see something work with a VPN off and not work with the VPN on I go to firewall rules. I would be amazed if your servers were not behind a modern firewall. Modern firewalls have rules that allow administrators to easily block or allow traffic based on IP addresses grouped by geography or company. I would bet that your firewall is set to allow requests for the Ads catalog from all of the major ISPs in North America and set to block requests sourced from all of the VPN service providers, probably because nefarious people use VPNs to hide their geographical location. I am making a lot of assumptions here and could be completely off base, but I could prove my theory if I knew the IP address that the Ads catalog uses to communicate with all of the Brave browsers in the world. I could set my VPN to ignore traffic to and from that IP address or range of IP addresses, bypassing my VPN.

Thank you for your time and attention on this, I really appreciate the quick response. I would recommend passing this request to your firewall administrator if you have one, or whichever developer administers your firewalls.

Thank you,

“: )

: Brian-Lee: Bayer.

We’ll know our disinformation program is successful when everything the American public believes is false.

• Former CIA Director William Casey

Thanks @bbear999 , but I’m not on Brave staff. The only reason I know what I posted above is that a Brave staff member helped me troubleshoot why I stopped receiving ads a few months ago. The information and instructions are what he gave me, and they worked.

LOL, so I was really off base, just not in the way I thought. :wink:

Thank you,

“: )

: Brian-Lee: Bayer.

We’ll know our disinformation program is successful when everything the American public believes is false.

• Former CIA Director William Casey

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.