New tab not showing installed theme

So i installed a theme from the chrome extension store, when i press new tab to see the theme, im greeted with the brave statistic page, is there a way to change that to see my theme? I enjoy statistics as much as the next person but i would really like to see my theme

Hello, can you tell us which version of Brave you’re on? New tab page behavior with extensions should be working, and I tested it personally quite recently using a popular extension. Perhaps you have an older version of Brave before this change for new tab pages was implemented? Thanks!

P.S., Feel free to let us know which extension you’re using so we can try to replicate it on our end.

1 Like

Same happened to me. Version 0.59.35 Chromium: 72.0.3626.81 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10 Pro Version 1803. Sea Cliffs theme at

I have figured out the issue

~ Regards Mina William Girgis

Hi Mina, can you share with us the solution? Thanks!

So I was using a theme instead of a new tab extension, themes don’t change when you open a tab.

~ Regards Mina William Girgis

1 Like

Think there is some crossover in relation to the issues - I too do not see a theme from the Google Webstore when it is downloaded and installed -

The practise is to select a theme, download & then open a new tab/browser session for the theme/skin to be applied to the Browser. It doesnt work… All we can do is select Black or White as per Brave settings and any Chromium based theme from the webstore doesnt get displayed

Okay, lets clear this up:
Themes when applied in Chrome usually include a change in the browsing window color or something to that effect and may often include a NTP image.
Themes do work in Brave - the one exception being the image that is displayed. This is because the Brave NTP will override the theme attempting to display the image it comes with. The rest of the theme will display as intended.

If you want a different new tab page - whether that means just a different image or more/less functionality or whatever - you will have to use a NTP extension specifically.

1 Like

Excellent… Thanks @Mattches for the explanation…

Makes sense now…

1 Like