New profiles automatically created almost every day

Description of the issue:
The browser keeps creating new profiles on its own on a regular basis. During the past week, I’ve had to delete about ten new profiles.

Last occurrence of the problem: tonight, after playing video game. Brave was closed while playing, I stopped and left the game, opened Brave and noticed the yellow dot on the icon.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Do nothing special, open Brave, and notice that it has created a new profile.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
The so called “Profile 1” is here, waiting for me to be deleted - and probably patiently planning its evil return.^^ If I choose to delete it, I can see that there has been no activity with this profile.

Expected result:

Reproduces how often:
More and more often lately (at least one profile per day during the past week).

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Brave Version:
Version 1.20.108 Chromium: 88.0.4324.182 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Thanks in advance for any help you might propose.

2 Likes

@Vaefio that’s very weird indeed, unfortunately I have no idea of what could be causing this to you, my browser is behaving normally.

@Mattches @fanboynz

Maybe I should have added that I’am using Brave browser since a few years now, and this problem had never occurred before (or maybe once). It happened for the first time about one month ago (I opened another topic about it here).

that happened to me on linux also

i think the process to reproduce that as follow

1. my brave version on that time was 1.20.103

2. i had only one profile and it was like that for more than 7 months

3. then i created new profile and start sync between those 2 profile yes both on same machine (just to test the sync option)

4. i only synced the bookmark

5. while both profiled opened on their window i went to the profile manage from the new profile and deleted the main profile

6. it will work as usual then everyday i start brave it show up another profile when i go to the profile manager and delete it i find it empty as if it just created
    after deleted it it work fine for the whole day but on the next day it show up again

7. after couple of days i tried to not delete it as i did before then i closed brave then start it again after few seconds i got message that my profile is corrupted and it will have limited feature or something close to that

when i deleted the new random profile i notice that the default profile does not exist in the brave folder
but when i did not delete it i find it on the folder

not sure if the bug related to the sync or it cause i deleted a profile while it opened or both of them

things that i did not test

if there a fresh install would the bug show up or not ? as it maybe bug in profile upgrade process if it required by any update

is it still valid for version 1.20.108 but i see @Vaefio already report that with that version so i think it still there

hope that help to reproduce the issue and find the fix for it

right now i reset my machine for different reason so i can not get more info but i can push on my memory to get what happened if there any questions

i was using linux centos 8.3

hope that help and have a nice day :slight_smile:

:thinking: a wild thought just crossed my mind, had you tried to copy the default profile of another brave installation?

good point and i think a solution could be to backup the old profile by copy it’s folder then uninstall brave and remove all related folders then install it again and after that copy the default folder back

but i did not tried that but i see that issue earlier but with macos user will try to check my history to get the link to it

Edit : here are the link

@Vaefio,
Can you please try going to the following directory:

C:\users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\

Then, in Brave, open the Profile manager and delete Profile 1. Look at the directory and see if a Profile 1 folder still exists here after deleting it using the manager. If so, try deleting the folder directly.

same here suddently profile 2 started appearing as person 2 howerver in the appdata folder profile 2 does not exist deleting it in brave profile manager and the next day does re appear this happen on both my device that use brave.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.