My Brave keeps crashing [Macbook]

Hi there,

Today my Brave started to crash every 15min to 30min. I will paste the error code below as I don’t understand anything about coding. I already uninstalled and installed again and the problem still continues. Can anybody help me here? I really don’t want to change my browser and use google chrome.

Process: Brave Browser [60260]
Path: /Applications/Brave Browser.app/Contents/MacOS/Brave Browser
Identifier: com.brave.Browser
Version: 102.1.39.120 (139.120)
Code Type: X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: Brave Browser [60260]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2022-06-10 21:21:10.907 +1000
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.14.6 (18G9323)
Report Version: 12
Bridge OS Version: 5.5 (18P4759a)
Anonymous UUID: AAA1D9F8-8910-0BF3-F55D-A5855531802A

Sleep/Wake UUID: 2D71111C-E585-4B7E-BE26-E580B9E9772E

Time Awake Since Boot: 1600000 seconds
Time Since Wake: 57000 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread: 0 CrBrowserMain Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type: EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000

@DaviPinheiro

Please go to your Mac System Preferences and make sure that your clock (Date & Time) setting is close to being accurate. Mac OS is fussy about the date, especially.

Next, Exit/Quit everything.

On a Mac, the BraveSoftware folder is located at:

/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/

Drag that BraveSoftware folder to the Trash (but do not yet empty the Trash).

Next, locate the Caches folder at:

/Users/your_username/Library/Caches/

and move both:

• com.brave.Browser
  • BraveSoftware

. . . folders to the Trash (but do not yet empty the Trash).

Locate the Preferences folder at:

/Users/your_username/Library/Preferences/

Therein, find the com.brave.Browser.plist file and drag that file to the Trash (but do not yet empty the Trash).

Close all windows.

Restart your Mac.

The latest Brave Browser v1.39.122 installer for your Mac, is at:

Scroll down to the Installer that is appropriate for your Mac computer (Intel - x64). . . and at your discretion (what you believe your computer needs), select either of the .dmg or .pkg installation files. (Try the .dmg installer, first.)

Install Brave Browser v1.39.122

After installing Brave Browser v1.39.122 . . . IF Brave Browser will not launch and keep running successfully, then return to where the BraveSoftware folder is located:

. . . and drag that BraveSoftware folder to the Mac Desktop.

Try again, to start Brave Browser and run with it.

PS. You may need to make the Library folder visible:

/Users/your_username/Library/

See:

Footnote: Known Issue (ref.):

Thanks for your help here. I’ve tried to locate all these files and put them in the trash, however, as you can see in the screenshots attached I don’t have any of these folders or files mentioned above. Maybe that is why I am having this problem?

The only place I can locate any Brave file is at the Application folder.

@DaviPinheiro

You are a bit lost - and incorrectly looking at, and into, the root level /Library folder.

So, I narrowed down the path selection, from 3 (that I wrote about, earlier) to 1:

To bring you up to speed, on the Mac, the following, leading portion of a path to a file or folder:

• /Users/your_username/

can be written using either substitution:

• $HOME/
  • ~/

So, for example:

$HOME/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/

means:

I can’t see the Library folder in any of these destinations:

/Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/ BraveSoftware /
$HOME/Library/Application Support/ BraveSoftware /

I found it! It was hidden, but I got it now. I will follow your steps

1 Like

I’ve done everything and seems like it’s working again, however I’ve lost all my bookmarks. Is there a way to recover them?

@DaviPinheiro

Exit / Quit Brave Browser

The ‘Bookmarks’ and ‘Bookmarks.bak’ files are located at:

• /Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Bookmark

• /Users/your_username/Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/Bookmark.bak

You would REPLACE THOSE with the same-named files that you might still have, elsewhere . . . therefore:

• Less likely: Look within the sub-folders of the BraveSoftware folder that you placed on your Mac Desktop

• More likely: Look within the sub-folders of the BraveSoftware folder that you moved to the Trash (but did “not yet empty”)

You can probably tell which set of the Bookmarks files has data - because of their file size.

If no luck, you might successfully export Bookmarks to a ‘bookmarks.html’ file . . . from an older/previous browser installation, and then import from that file.

I am gonna try that. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

@DaviPinheiro

I created the following ‘crash course’ (see link, below), in order to help a Brave Browser user to learn more about Brave Browser > Settings.

An object of the exercise, is also to see that the RED circle icon (containing a tiny exclamation mark) at the left end of the URL address field, is sometimes an indication of an access glitch.

Another object of the exercise, is also to help gain a bit more steady access to YouTube and to G-mail. Both of which websites, are now part of Google’s ‘One Google Account’ Sign-In system:

I maintain Aggressive / Strict Shields controls and generally leave the Global Shields settings at that. Global Shields: brave://settings/shields

Then, I Allow select sources of JavaScripts, and sometimes Cookies:

• brave://settings/content/javascript
  • brave://settings/cookies

Much like setting up a firewall to Deny access as a default, but Allow specific INCOMING traffic.

While the usual advice, here at the Brave Community, is to rely upon the site-specific Shields (Lion icon) panel.

I do adjust on occasion, the settings of that site-specific Shields control panel(s) - usually while testing a Web Compatibility issue. But, I much more often Allow sources as previously mentioned, and, as you will see at the following link:

Brave designated youtube as unsecure webpage - #2 by 289wk

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.