Missing padlock symbol is a security thread

Description of the issue: Missing padlock symbol in omnibox might be a real security concern

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Open any URL

Expected result: Omnibox shows URL with a padlock symbol (green, grey, red) and allows to view website certificate if it is an https connection.

Actual result: There is no padlock symbol in the omnibox. User cannot see whether or not it is a secure connection. He cannot access the certificate details.

Brave Version( check About Brave): 1.6.1 (79.0.3945.930

Mobile Device details Android 5.02

Additional Information: I consider the missing padlock symbol as a real security thread. The user cannot see anymore whether or kot he is on a secure website.

@Brave_user I’m able to see the padlock icon. Maybe specific to tablet version.

cc @Mattches @sriram

I can see it on an Android 9 device as well. However as long as Brave supports Android 5 the padlock symbol should be visible there too. Alternatively Brave could officially end support for Android 5 devices.

Page info icons are same on all Android versions. There isn’t a different implementation on one version of Android to other. Brave is supported from Android 4.x onwards so it shouldn’t be a problem on Android 5.

@GeetaSarvadnya can you check this on your Android device?

Ok, but there very obviously is a problem as you can see in the screenshot.

I found the cause of the bug:

If you enable “#omnibox-search-engine-logo” in flags this bug occurs. You need to have this flag disabled/set to default.

1 Like