Memory leak in extension: brave?

Description of the issue: So I was using brave browser for past 8 hours then I saw that my memory usage went up since the time I started. I opened the browser task manager and saw that ‘extension: brave’ is consuming a large chunk of ram.

Steps to Reproduce: 1. open brave with like 15ish tabs in your social media and other news websites.
2. browse for 8+ hours
3. notice how extension: brave is consuming 1,000,000K+ memory

**Actual Result : **

Expected result: The memory usage of extension:brave stays similar to when first started.

Reproduces how often: I have experienced this for past week every single day since I installed brave.

**Operating System and Brave Version:**Version 1.41.96 Chromium: 103.0.5060.114 (Official Build) (64-bit)| Operating system: Linux mint 20.3 (system info: https://termbin.com/v7ma )

Additional Information: I am using dark reader, reddit enhancement suit, return youtube dislike, h264ify , sponsorblock for youtube

It’ll be the extension leaking. Try disabling some of the extensions, and retest. Then based on the results, either keep them disabled or disable more extensions.

(post deleted by author)

1 Like

I have always wondered what “Extension: Brave” is, but now I know. @anon57438784 Thanks for the great explanation! I can imagine that those detailed lists of every resource that is blocked can be endless after a while… I’ll give this a shot and see how it works. :+1:t2:

But I thought extension : brave was adblocker is that not the case?

ok I will try that thanks!

(post deleted by author)

yeah it is pretty weird I am willing to sacrifice that feature as long as it doesn’t effect the functionality of actual adblocker and other fingerprinting prevention.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.