Latest Brave release problems with HW acceleration problem and Youtube

Description of the issue:
Latest Brave release problems with HW acceleration problem and Youtube text does not fade away completely.
*Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Since the latest build release I have been having problems with Youtube text not going away when in full screen mode. See the attached image. It worked correctly in the previous builds. If I turn off hardware acceleration the problem goes away. Chrome and Chrome Edge works correctly even with hardware acceleration. It sometimes will fade away completely, other times it stops before faded away completely leaving the text still visible on full screen videos.

*Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):

*Expected result:
The text should fade away completely and leave just the video playing.

Reproduces how often:
Happens about half the time…I can scroll the screen and it will sometimes fix the problems.

Operating System and Brave Version(See the About Brave page in the main menu):
Windows 10 Pro 1903 (build 18362.175) Brave Version 0.65.118 Chromium: 75.0.3770.80 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
This did not happen until I upgraded to this version.

I would have suggested turning off HW acceleration but you clearly want it soo …@mattches

@TBurt,
Thanks for reaching out to us. Hardware Acceleration has been the the cause of a sizable handful of issues like this. The interesting part is that this wasn’t happening until after the upgrade.

I do notice that your version says v0.65.118 – we recently applied a hotfix bumping latest to v0.65.120 so the first thing I would do is ensure you update to the latest available version.

If updating does not change the behavior, I know that we’ve changed a few things on the back end with respect to the way Brave utilizes gpu resources. Some of these changes have already hit our Nightly builds and I’m curious if the issue is resolved with these changes.

Would you mind downloading our Nightly build and testing to see if you get the same behavior in Youtube? Note that downloading/installing or uninstalling/using the Nightly build will install in parallel with your current Brave installation and will not overwrite or interfere with any of it’s data. So you’re free to download, run the test, then uninstall Nightly after testing without worry/consequence if you choose to do so.

Let me know if upgrading resolves the issue and, if not, how Nightly behaves when tested.

I tried v0.65.120 but it still is doing it. It did not seem to do it as often. I just installed nightly and I will try it. I will let you know if it still does it.

Nightly does it also.

1 Like

@TBurt,
Thanks for testing and confirming. I’m not entirely sure what’s causing this and can’t seem to reproduce on my end. I’ve reached out to a few team members to get some more eyes on the issue – will let you know what turns up. Thank you for your patience.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.