Just Upgrde 0.58.18 Chromium, Possible to Always Open in Incognito Mode?

Just upgraded to 0.58.18 Chromium. Ever since installing Brave over 3 months ago it either defaulted to, or, I easily changed it to, always open in incognito mode. I DO NOT want the browser to keep history, passwords, etc. It seems the new version either does not have this option, or, it seems ridiculously difficult to find this option. I have searched Settings > Privacy and Security multiple times but can’t seem to locate this option. Super frustrated right now. On the brink of uninstalling for good. I was really enjoying Brave too. Any help is appreciated.

The option to clear data “on exit” is currently being implemented in the new version. You should see this included in an update in the near future.

That said, there’s a workaround you can use to launch Brave with a Private window every time. You’ll have to edit the target path in your Brave shortcut. Try the following:

1. Close all Brave instances running on your machine
  2. Navigate to the shortcut you use to launch Brave (the shortcut in the example below is located on the desktop)
  3. Right-click the shortcut and select Properties from the context menu
  4. Click in the Target test field in the Properties menu
  5. Append --incognito to the Target text string, the path should now look something like: "C:\Program Files (x86)\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\Application\brave.exe" --incognito
  6. Click Apply then OK to accept the changes
  7. Launch Brave using the newly edited shortcut

Example:

This shortcut should now launch Brave with a Private window every time you use it. Hopefully this will meet your needs until an official implementation is in.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.