Installation of Brave 0.56.14 Linux Mint 'Betsy'

NOTE: Any “one-liner” or topics requesting support or reporting bugs that do not make an effort to include as much of this information as possible will be closed immediately. Repeatedly posting as such will get you flagged or banned.

Please try to adhere to this template when reporting bugs. If you think you don’t need to fill out every section in the template fill out as much of it as you can and please be as descriptive as possible when posting. Thank you!
<---------Delete this line and everything above before posting---------->

Description of the issue:
2nd time to submit this; first thread closed and I’m not sure how to re-open. At any rate, unable to install on Linux Mint Betsy.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary): 1. 2. 3.
Tried installation instructions from the download site. Also tried v 0.56 from the release channel. No luck so far.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Result is no errors, just no installation. When I installed 0.56.x from the release channel, Brave seemed to install and I even now have an icon on my desktop. Double clicking that doesn’t do anything though.

Expected result:
Installation.

Reproduces how often:
Every time.

Brave Version(about:brave):
0.56.14

Reproducible on current live release (yes/no):
yes

Additional Information:
I I’ve got Brave installed on two windows machines and my android phone. Information about the Linux box where I want to install is:
– This is an OLD dell dimension M6400 laptop.
– I have Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE) installed rather than the Ubuntu based version of Mint.
– uname -a out put is:
Linux tejas 3.16.0-7-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.59-1 (2018-10-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
– cat /proc/version output is:
Linux version 3.16.0-7-amd64 (debian-kernel@lists.debian.org) (gcc version 4.9.2 (Debian 4.9.2-10+deb8u1) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.16.59-1 (2018-10-03)

Thanks to all for the responses thus far and those to come. Any assistance is much appreciated.

Apologies, I must have closed it prematurely.

You’re probably running into a Linux sandboxing issue, in which case you’ll want to try this solution here:

Let me know if this works for you.

Thanks for that tip! Brave now works for me. In case it’s helpful, here is what appeared in my terminal when I ran ‘brave-browser --no-sandbox’:

dwesson@tejas ~ $ brave-browser --no-sandbox

Fontconfig warning: “/etc/fonts/fonts.conf”, line 86: unknown element “blank”

ATTENTION: default value of option force_s3tc_enable overridden by environment.

[4945:4966:1203/191421.015535:ERROR:rewards_service_impl.cc(133)] Failed to read file: /home/dwesson/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ledger_state

1 Like