Import Brave bmarks back into Brave

I know it’s not a new topic but I have found no answers. I can find info on exporting Brave’s “bookmarks_x_x_xx.html” to a usb drive, for example, and lots on importing into Brave from another browser, but absulutely nothing on Brave back into Brave: I added a new bookmark then exported to a thumb drive and, as test, tried to import it to Brave on my other computer: bookmarks/bookmark manager/import bookmarks. Then I selected the html file on my thumbdrive and both dbl-clicked and (on a 2nd attempt) just selected it and clicked “open.” But in neither case did the new bookmark I saved show up. I need to do this transfer for travel/security purposes and I’m stymied. Pls advise. Thanks.

On Windows, the current Bookmark file being used by Brave is located at C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data\Default\Bookmarks, in JSON format.

Copying this file to another Brave folder will do.

Thanks for the quick reply. I’ll give this a shot!

Looks like I hit a dead end. I followed the path to Default but there was no Bookmarks folder there. I also dbl-checked it on my Win 10 laptop, just in case the Windows system had something to do with it, but it was the same . I also tried as logged on as Administrator, but no dice. Then I did a search of the Default folder and it found Bookmarks both as a file type and again as a BAK file type. But they’re not there, and I have no files or folders hidden. Any ideas?

It’s not a folder, it’s a file named Bookmarks inside the Default folder.

It’s a JSON without file type extension.

I feel a little embarrassed that I missed the individual files IN the Default folder, but: problem resolved, and than you again - very much- for your timely replies.
Regards, Morgan

Hi

THis is what I do (in Windows):

1. CTRL+SHIFT+O
  2. Click the 3 vertical dots, export bookmarks and save as html
  3. Import bookmarks, click to open saved html file.
  4. CTRL+SHIFT+B, to show bookmark bar; The imported bookmarks shows as a folder named “imported” (“imported” will not show if bookmark bar was empty before import).

Thanks very much. I appreciate the quick response.

1 Like

I’ve got one more question, actually, if you can answer it. I’m sure it’s unusual: Is there a way to move my bookmarks out of wherever they are located and have Brave function online without my saved bookmarks being accessible?

morgan wrote:

Hmm I’m not sure I followed it…

Yes, you can remove the Bookmarks file, the browser will run normally but without bookmarks.