How to import passwords from Chrome?

I wanted to import passwords from Chrome. I saved the passwords but when I came back to Brave, I found that there is no import option in Brave. Please help. Thanks.

There’s an import option. If you are on a desktop you would go to your bookmarks in Settings (the hamburger menu on top right) and then there would be an option to Import bookmarks and settings.

If you were on iPhone or iPad then when you open up your bookmarks you would have to go back to where you can choose like the main menu, then you would hit the little red square with an up arrow plus on the bottom left and choose Import.

EDIT

So yeah, I just edited out because originally I put wrong. Unfortunately I jumbled my memories on devices. This is why I’m glad I always go back and test things on my own devices when I tell people things. On Android there isn’t a way except to Sync with other devices. So Import and Export is only available on everything BUT Android, which seems silly. @Serg if you happen to pop online, you know if this is something you guys are working on in development?

1 Like

Yes, the only way on Android is to import them on your laptop/desktop and sync to Android. You have to use laptop/desktop in any case to export them right? So you can use laptop/desktop Brave and sync into Android.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Like if I had been using Chrome on my Android only and now am switching to Brave, I’d want to move it over to Brave. Yet if there’s no import options to do so, then I’d be screwed unless I had another device that I’d be using them on.

Not sure how many people are “phone only” but it’s possible. It does seem kind of a bit off though why we let iPhone and others import but not Android? But I get you, right now only available to people using multiple devices running the same browsers., well for Android anyway.

But on desktop or iPhone, if they had been my only device, they both have import/export options. So I’d be able to export from Chrome to Brave on the same device with zero issues.

1 Like

There is no way to export from Chrome on Android, only desktop Chrome supports that or you can use Chrome’s online service, which actually can be used on mobile only to generate a file with your settings(history, bookmarks, passwords …) https://takeout.google.com/. I’m just not sure how many users need that as much easier to sync it.

1 Like

I’m not saying it is not possible to do. It is possible, just does it worth spending time on it if most users use desktop to create the file in any case?

1 Like

Oh wow, I could swear I did it before. Maybe it was something in the past or I’m just completely mistaken. But I just tested and see what you mean. It’s weird but I guess it’s as you say, it depends on what other browsers are doing for the same operating system. If nothing allows to export from Android, then there would be no purpose to Import on it.

Thanks for your time and feedback Serg. I appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to let us know.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for your help. Actually this option of import, I think was present in the beginning for android because when I searched on Google, all procedure was written & I followed but at the end when I went back to Brave, after taking a backup of the passwords, I found that there was no option of import anymore on Android.
Unfortunate that this option is present for iPhone but not Android devices.

1 Like

Hi, new to Brave as of today. I came to these forums specifically because I am trying to move my passwords from Chrome to Brave on my Android device.

As far as I can tell, I can export just my passwords using Chrome.

It would be far more convenient for me to do this completely on my phone as opposed to having to use a desktop and my phone to make this switch.

I will say that I have been considering switching away from Chrome/Google for some time and I find it a bit demotivating that, as soon as I make the attempt, I am stymied from completing the swap. I am traveling at the moment without access to my home computer, so I really wish Brave would allow me to import my passwords via my phone browser.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Brave for a few days as I’m switching away from Chrome & currently testing out other browsers…

I use Android for everything and only Android…

And I’ve exported my passwords from Chrome on Android, but with apparently no way to import them to Brave on Android…

This whole issue has been incredibly frustrating and it’s very discouraging & disappointing.

2 Likes

This is bull$hit that android users cant import our passwords into brave… as i do not currently own a desktop so how im the hell am i supposed to be able to use my accounts that i honestly have no idea what any of the passwords even are because ive been usig auto fill for years now… so now beave is basiclly useless to me aince im unable to even log on to almost any websites anymore…

Please make importibg passwords into brave android a priority so us mobile only users can continue to use this awesole browser… orherwise im just going to have to Uninstall it which would really be a shame

Thanks

-B

This feature will be implemented in the next Android update:

That link suggests it has been implemented yet I don’t see the option. Is there an unofficial or beta version I need to download?

@Ball,
Go to Main menu → Bookmarks → 3-dots icon at the top right and you’ll see Import and `Export bookmarks options:

What on earth does that have to do with passwords?

My apologies — I misread/mixed my threads up and thought you were asking about bookmarks.

Unfortunately there is no way to import passwords into the mobile version of the browser. You can do it in a roundabout way, by using the desktop browsers:

1. On Desktop, import your Chrome passwords into Brave
  2. Set up Brave Sync on your desktop device
  3. Use Brave Sync to sync passwords from your desktop browser to your mobile browser

Apologies again for the confusion and inconvenience.