How can you get Brave on iOS to STOP opening external apps?

I am very annoyed by having Brave automatically opening links in external apps on iOS and there’s no way to disable that, resulting in a potential privacy leak especially when you accidentally tap on “Maps” in Google Search (because touch response on web browsers are very erratic nowadays) and you get redirected to Google Maps app automatically with your secret search terms recorded. I actually have to go through the settings maze and delete my history in the app.

Or in the case of trying to open a Wikipedia link, I get redirected to the Wikipedia app when I click on such link. There is no warning saying if you want to open in an external app.

It may also happen with a few external apps installed on iPhone, and if the browser link thinks such apps are installed, external apps get the preference.

Steps to Reproduce (add as many as necessary):

1. Google search anything
  2. Click on maps where it says “Images, Maps, Books, etc.”
  3. Or you can click on a result that leads you to Wikipedia.
  4. The appropriate apps have to be installed on the iPhone.

Actual Result (gifs and screenshots are welcome!):
Without warning, the link opens an external app like Google Maps (for example), and your private search results will be transferred and recorded into the external app, which I think is very frustrating.

Expected result:
It was supposed to take you to the Google Maps or Wikipedia website without leaving Brave.

Reproduces how often:
All the time, if “appropriate” apps are installed on the iPhone.

Brave Version(about:brave):

Mobile Device details
iPhone 7 Plus

Android/iOS Version
iOS 12.1

Additional Information:
The only workaround is to delete the external apps, then Brave will think there isn’t any appropriate ones and will get the expected results.

1 Like

Unfortunately this is the behaviour of all browser on iOS and not specific to Brave. You’ll see the same behaviour on Safari/Firefox/Dolphin/Puffin all popular browsers. If I am not wrong this is handled by iOS to link to native apps(if any installed). Not sure how much control we’ll have in handling such request.

@anon1255531 @michal could we add a preference option to not switch to external app and open in Brave instead. Android does this for YT videos with a preference switch to play in browser rather than switching.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.