Getting notifications from Brave profiles that are CLOSED

Description of the issue:
I have a Brave profile specifically for a job. In that profile, I turned on notifications for Microsoft Teams and Outlook, which I keep in pinned tabs.

When I’m done working and close that profile, I’m still getting notifications from that profile. I have to quit Brave to make them stop.

How can I stop Brave from listening for notifications in profiles that aren’t even open?

How can this issue be reproduced?

1. Enable notifications for any site in any profile
  2. Close the profile
  3. Notifications continue, even though the profile is closed

Expected result:
No notifications for closed profiles

Brave Version( check About Brave):

Additional Information:
2020 M1 MacBook Air — macOS 13.5.1

@Mattches or @Saoiray ?

Yeah, this one is kind of outside my realm of expertise. Definitely would be for @Mattches or perhaps @steeven to answer.

@100WattWalrus,
Seems like a silly question but just to confirm, the notifications you’re getting are notifications from those sites in which you allowed them in your work profile (Teams and Outlook), right?

@Mattches , correct. To clarify:

• I have several Brave profiles
  • One of them is specific to a job
  • When I am working, I have this profile open
  • In that profile, under brave://settings/content/notifications, I have allowed notifications from:
    https://teams.microsoft.com
    https://outlook.office.com
    • [*.]atlassian.net
    …all of which have a page/sub-page that lives in a pinned tab in that profile
  • When I’m done working and close this profile
  • Even with the profile closed, I continue getting notifications from those sites
  • To stop notifications, I have to quit and relaunch Brave when this work profile is closed
  • When I start/restart Brave with other profiles open, but not the work profile, I do not get notifications from those sites

FYI, I have not allowed notifications from any sites in any other profiles, so I can’t say if this problem is specific to that work profile.

And FYI, the extensions I have running in that profile are…

• Dark Reader (forces dark mode on sites that don’t offer it)
  • Ghostery (supplementary ad/tracker/content blocker)
  • Enpass (password manager)
  • GoFullPage (full-page screenshots)
  • Imagus (hover-zoom images)

And FYI, most of my other profiles also have Ghostery, Enpass and Imagus. Some of my other profiles also have Dark Reader. The profile that I have open pretty much all the time is one I use for media (mostly Spotify) also has AutoplayStopper.

Maybe more info than you needed, but I figured this might save some back-and-forth. :slight_smile:

(BTW, when I went to look up which URLs had notifications, searching brave://settings/ for “notifications” produced ZERO results.)

@100WattWalrus quick question for you here…if you go to SettingsSystem (brave://settings/system), do you have Continue running background apps when Brave is closed enabled on any of your profiles?

I’m asking as I was trying to look and think, which is when I noticed my system tray showing as you see below:

I have it enabled and it’s showing as such, with ibotta being the extension that is keeping Brave running in the background. That continues to happen even when I switch to another profile.

If you do have the option turned on, could you disable it and see if you notice any differences? I’m thinking that you might have that setting enabled and one of the extensions is essentially keeping that Brave profile “active” even though you’ve switched out. Hence why you would be getting the notifications.

Admittedly it’s just a theory, but figured might be good one to mention and have tested.

@Saoiray , my brave://settings/system does not include Continue running background apps when Brave is closed. It has only…

System

Shortcuts
Use hardware acceleration when available (ON)
Open your computer’s proxy settings
Close window when closing last tab (ON)

Performance

Memory Saver (ON)
Always keep these sites active (No sites added)

Power

Energy Saver
Turn on only when my battery is at 20% or lower (ON)
Turn on when my computer is unplugged

Having said that, I checked all my profiles, and the only extensions I could find that might run in the background are Honey, Rakuten, and The Camelizer — all discount/price-trackers — but…

• Honey and Rakuten are only on one profile that I use rarely, and they’re not doing any price-watching (i.e., I’m not tracking any prices with them)
  • The Camelizer is on a different profile, and hasn’t been used — it was installed a couple weeks ago (problem pre-dates that install) and I haven’t even opened it yet, let alone used it or logged in
  • If I’ve used my work profile (with the office/teams notifications), the problem occurs whether or not those two profiles have been opened during the active Brave session. In fact, usually the work profile is in use during work hours, and those other two profiles don’t get launched until after work.
  • If I close the work profile, then quit and relaunch Brave, the notifications stop, and don’t recur until I’ve launched that work profile again

…so it seems unlikely (to me) that those extensions could be keeping a different profile "awake.

Having said that, I’ve turned off Honey & Rakuten. I find them annoying and only have them installed because the profile they’re on is a profile I use when I’m “being my partner” — i.e., where I’m logged into her Amazon instead of mine, etc.

@100WattWalrus,
I think that this has to do with the way macOS handles “closed” windows/profiles, in that they’re not actually closed when they’re…closed. For example if you close a window (using the x), clicking on the Brave icon again will simply open a new window in the same profile you just had open.

In order to completely “exit” the profile, you need to right-click and Quit Brave (or select Quit from the Apple icon menu at the top of the screen). I suspect this is why the notifications for those sites still come through. Checking with a few team members for suggestions — just to confirm:

When I’m done working and close this profile
Even with the profile closed, I continue getting notifications from those sites
To stop notifications, I have to quit and relaunch Brave when this work profile is closed
When I start/restart Brave with other profiles open, but not the work profile, I do not get notifications from those sites

After you close the profile where you’ve allowed those notifications in, are you continuing to use Brave in another profile after that? Or are you getting the notifications while using other apps on your computer/not using your machine at all)?

After you close the profile where you’ve allowed those notifications in, are you continuing to use Brave in another profile after that? Or are you getting the notifications while using other apps on your computer/not using your machine at all)?

I’m continuing to use other Brave profiles. To make the notifications stop, I have to quit Brave and re-start it.

@100WattWalrus,
Can you go ahead and test setting the other profiles to not allow notifications at all? If you do this, do you still get the notifications coming through from the other profile?

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.