From no advertisements to advertisements everywhere with no changes made to settings

  • Cleared cookies and cache and I think that made it even worse
  • Was using standard, tried aggressive but there is no difference between the two.

A thing I did notice when looking at Brave Shield is that there is always 0 Trackers and adds blocked whether I set the blocking to Standard or Aggressive. This was never the case before, always had plenty of things that were blocked, depending on the site of course.

Here’s an example, iPhone adds all over the place yet no trackers or adds blocked…

Edit: If I block scripts the advertisements are gone.

Check whether a private window with all extensions disabled resolves your issue. Definitely a weird behavior out of the sudden.

1 Like

Exactly the same as a normal window…

This is weird, as said, worked perfectly yesterday and before. Have not seen a single add in close on a year and since this morning BAM…ads everywhere and nothing blocked. Did not touch a setting, did not upgrade, nothing.

All right, do the following:

  1. Type brave://settings/clearBrowserData in the address bar.
  2. AdvancedTime rangeAll time.
  3. Select Cookies and other site data, Cached images and files, Site and Shields Settings.
  4. Clear data.

After you complete the steps above, do the following:

  1. Type brave://settings/shields in the address bar.
  2. Trackers & ads blockingAggressive.
  3. Fingerprinting blockingStrict, may break sites.

After you’re done with all steps, test the problematic websites once again.

1 Like

No change, still the same. All sites that were without adds are filled with them now. Nothing gets blocked, see Brave Shield image below. There used to be many things blocked on these sites, all now show 0 blocked and pages full of ads.


Very weird.

  1. Type brave://adblock in the address bar.
  2. Take a screenshot of the whole page, please.
1 Like


Yeah, looks completely broken.

Try the following:

  1. Type brave://components in the address bar.
  2. Brave Ad Block Updater
  3. Check for update.
1 Like

When I click the Check for update it gives message ‘Component not updated’


Check whether creating a fresh user profile will fix Brave’s Ad Block component.

1 Like

Created new profile, set shield settings to same as you mentioned above i.e. agressive etc…

Typed in url of previous site giving the adds and same result. See below, nothing blocked.

Does the brave://adblock page look the same as in your default user profile?

1 Like

Yes blank box, no filters. Also did the update again and same, component not updated, same version number

All right, we’ll try to make Brave re-download its ad block component, hopefully that will fix your issues once and for all.

Since I’m not using Linux, I can’t provide the exact path to the folder below, but you should be able to find it on your own, hopefully.

You have to find a folder named cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam, the folder is located at C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\BraveSoftware\Brave-Browser\User Data in Windows.

  1. Delete the folder.
  2. Restart the browser.
  3. Open brave://components and check whether Brave is downloading the component.
1 Like


Deleted the folder and saw that it was recreated the moment I restarted Brave. I went to the components and clicked ‘check for update’ but again received message of no update.

Checked the site in question for the ads and no ads and Shield back to way it was blocking things, see below. So seems all back to te way it was…

Thank you very much for your asistance and effort.



Happy we managed to resolve your issues! I don’t know what might have caused the component to break but it’s important we managed to fix it!

Happy browsing :wink:


Just wanted to add on here for Linux users…

The ‘cffkpbalmllkdoenhmdmpbkajipdjfam’ folder mentioned is under /.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser

The .config folder is a hidden folder so you have to enable ‘Show Hidden Files’ when in your file explorer. You do this by pressing CTRL+H or from the ‘View’ menu in your file explorer.


Thank you very much for providing the exact path, I was just going to ask you for that so I can tell other Linux users where to look for it, if they run into a similar issue!