Feature: option to make macOS system print dialog the default

I prefer using the macOS system print dialog rather than the Chromium print dialog. It would be nice if I could set that to be the thing it used when I hit “command-p” rather than having to remember to use “command-option-p” in Brave.

3 Likes

I know this option exists for Chrome on Mac OS, with a Terminal workaround:

defaults write com.google.Chrome DisablePrintPreview -bool true

The issue for me is that I don’t know (well, much about this in general) what file or whatever to target to adjust this in Brave. com.google.Brave? That can’t be right.

Does anybody have an idea how to manage this through command-line defaults?

I don’t want to have to expand the print window and click Print Using the System Dialog every time I want to print. Is an option coming to Settings to make “Print Using the System Dialog” the default for every print request from Brave?
Thanks, John

While this would be much friendlier with a setting somewhere, the following work-around seems to work on Brave:

defaults write com.brave.Browser DisablePrintPreview -bool true

I found that domain by running defaults find brave |head and it turns out that the first line of the output tells me the domain.

[myusername:~] % defaults find brave |head
Found 15 keys in domain 'com.brave.Browser': {
    DisablePrintPreview = 1;
    LastRunAppBundlePath = "/Applications/Brave Browser.app";
    NSNavLastRootDirectory = "~/Desktop";
    NSNavLastUserSetHideExtensionButtonState = 1;

This is the output after running the above command; without it, I think the DisablePrintPreview wouldn’t be there.

1 Like

That works perfectly! Thanks very much for looking into this

NOTE: if you do this, a strange side-effect is that Brave (like Chrome), will start reporting that the browser is “managed by your organization” in the application menu and the About Brave window.

I want this option. The built in print options are limited and keep failing. My laser printer only fuses properly with the default make print dialogue and custom settings. I tried the terminal commands above and they didn’t work, but caused a pop out window to appear with the same print settings.

1 Like

And for the Beta version, it’s:

defaults write com.brave.Browser.beta DisablePrintPreview -bool true

FYI.

Thanks, I tried that, but it only led to a weird in browser print menu.

I’m trying to do the same thing in Windows 7. I prefer the default print menu. How do I implement this in Brave for Windows?

Please make this a built-in option in Brave.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I did this and now it opens a weird print window. How do I undo this?

Did you figure out how to undo that?

@bkadison

Should work:

defaults write com.brave.Browser DisablePrintPreview -bool false

I hesitate to use the Mac OS System Print Dialog, with Brave Browser, because Brave needs improvement re previewing and printing . . . and that means improvement of the Blink > Chromium < PDFium (plus other ingredients) collaboration.

I want to not add to the Brave developers’ work toward fixing the problem that some users have, when downloading PDF files.

I have found, that downloading or printing PDF files, seems to be helped by, in a Brave Browser > New Window, going to: brave://settings/content

Scroll down to ‘Additional content settings’ . . . and set:

• PDF documents: Open PDFs in Brave

(instead of choosing Download PDFs)

So, I open a PDF first - using Brave Browser’s PDF handling, and then download the file, and then move the file to where I need the PDF file stored. Yes, more steps, but they work.

1 Like

NOTE: using overriding the print preview in this manner disables the “Use secure DNS feature” in the settings.

Screen Shot 2022-05-25 at 4.03.48 PM

How would I enable this using a defaults write com.brave.Browser [...] ? command?