Essential/Minimal Profile Backup

OK, so this question is for someone who really knows/understands Brave user profiles.

I’m using Brave on Linux Mint 20 and backing up to Backblaze B2 (which is metered, so I don’t want to backup a bunch of needless stuff). I know where the profile directory is located - ~/.config/BraveSoftware/Brave-Browser/Default/ – but that directory is close to 1GB and I know there’s a lot of churn there that I don’t want to backup. I care mostly about Bookmarks and History. Cookies would be nice but I can always recreate them. And I use a password manager for passwords so saved passwords aren’t a big deal to me. I can reinstall extensions but it’d be nice if there’s something in the profile dir to tell me which extensions. It would be nice to backup everything in Settings, too but if that greatly increases the size of my backup, I can always recreate that, too.

In the (root of the) profile directory, I see several files that look like they’re what I’m looking for…

• Bookmarks (plain text)
  • Cookies (SQLite3 db)
  • Cookies-journal (plain text – 0 byte file ???)
  • History (SQLite3 db)
  • History-journal (unknown binary file)
  • Login Data (SQLite3 db – stored passwords??)
  • Login Data-journal (plain text – 0 byte file)
  • Preferences (plain text)
  • Secure Preferences (plain text - 1 line file)

There’s also “Shortcuts/journal”, “Web Data/journal”, and “Top Sites/journal”. Not sure what those are for, but even with those files, the total size is < 8MB. Can anyone dis/confirm that those files (alone - without all the subdirectories) would be sufficient as a minimal profile backup?

1 Like

Well, I figured this out on my own with a few hours of trial and error. In case this is helpful to anyone who comes looking for the answer to this question, here you go…

[Accounts]