Error: Brave Rewards Profile is flagged (2nd time this year)

Briefly describe your issue:
Back in May i got the issue “Error Brave Rewards profile is flagged”. It was fixed by support and now for some reason it started again. I already have a wallet with uphold and it was working correctly just like before. I noticed there was an issue when it showed that my Uphold wallet was no longer connected

What Operating System and Brave version are you using (Menu --> About Brave)?
Version 1.44.105 Chromium 106.0.5249.91 (Official build) (64-bit)
Windows 10 Pro. All latested security patches as of 10-4-22

Is your browser wallet currently verified? (yes/no)
It WAS

What date did you verify your wallet?
Last verified backin May of this year 2022

Have you been able to successfully receive payments in the past?
Yes

Are you using a VPN? (yes/no)
No

Are you in a supported region (see here for list of supported regions)?
YES, California USA

Does your device pass the SafteyNet check (Android only)?

Have you fully completed Uphold’s CDD requirements?
I already have a wallet with Uphold and it was working.

Any violation of Brave’s Terms can result in your account being flagged. You can find their Terms of Service for Brave Rewards at https://basicattentiontoken.org/user-terms-of-service/

Some quick examples of things that often result in flagged accounts can be:

• Using a VPN, Proxy Server, or other such thing to hide or fake your location. This is because it can be seen as you trying to bypass ad restrictions. Remember, advertisers pay so content is shown to specific regions. When you appear to be in a region you’re not, it is taking advantage of the system to see ads and receive BAT you shouldn’t be getting.
  • Modifying folders. There are some things you’re encouraged to do but some people do dig deep and try modifying folders that affect your encryption key OR where Users think they can fool the system into thinking they’ve seen more ads or have more BAT in their browser than they really do. Whether intentional or accidental, messing with the wrong things will get your account flagged.
  • Your setup sends mixed information to Brave. For example, maybe you’re in the United States. Your IP address shows you in California, your language is English-IN, and your time zone is correct. This will tell Brave you should see ads from India but then it sees that you’re actually in California. At this point it will think you’re trying to trick the system to see more ads and might flag you. If nothing else, it can result in you not getting BAT for ads that you do see.
  • Cloning your browser. Some people have learned how to do unofficial backup & restore and have the “great idea” that they can make multiple copies of the same browser on different devices and then Verify them with a custodial wallet like Uphold or Gemini. The system recognizes this and will flag the account and prevent anything from happening. Of course, even if unintentional, creating two exact copies of the browser and encryption key will be seen as attempting to do this and will flag you. So never have two identical copies of the browser running.
  • Uphold or Gemini identifies your account as fraudulent and/or there’s a violation of laws.
  • Any other type of suspicious activity is recognized by the system or Brave staff.

That said, just like people, the system isn’t flawless and mistakes can happen. If you haven’t done anything wrong, you can always create a ticket as instructed in What do I do if I get flagged? section of this FAQ.

If you do / did anything from the above then it must be the reason for being flagged.

You should raise a ticket. Raise one here

1 Like

So you should know that you need to submit a Support Ticket if you need Brave to look into it. Not much else can be said or done here in regards to flagged accounts.

Disconnects every 90-120 days. So probably that much time and hit the time to reconnect. That’s when you were finally able to see you had been flagged.

Kind of suggests that you may have something going on that is a problem. Might be good to figure out what might be happening to get you flagged. I know you said you aren’t using a VPN, but are you maybe using something like a proxy server by chance?

I mean, not saying you’re doing anything wrong, just increased odds of something being screwy if it’s flagged you twice now in a year. Just is having to figure out what it is, even if unintentional or perhaps something like an extension that’s doing it.

2 Likes

Appreciate yours and @SmartyAadi’s info.

While I read the TOS, I guess I completely blanked on using a VPN which I do when I check my banking and stuff on my mobile.
Also, I for whatever reason couldn’t remember ever having an account with Gemini years ago, so that took months to get verified there. Use Uphold, but figured the combo probably got me my flag.

My support ticket is in. But didn’t fill it out till reading some of your guys’ info. So as a newbie, thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.