Equivalent of Multi-Account Containers or Temporary Containers Extension (FF)

This should be the place, but feature requests often (?) sometimes (?) get little interaction from the Brave Team and appear to just sit until an announcement of a new feature, etc. or they just sit, and sit, and … :hushed: :wink:

Otherwise …
https://www.reddit.com/r/brave_browser/
https://www.facebook.com/BraveBrowser/

1 Like

This is a must have feature. There is really no excuse for a browser based around security not having such a feature.

1 Like

Yep, this is what is keeping me on Firefox as well. I would love to jump to Brave, but this feature is just SOOOOOOOO handy!

1 Like

I’m on this band wagon as well. I cannot understand how Mozilla has been able to do this and no one else has been able or willing to.

I find myself logging in to multiple accounts on the same platforms like AWZ, Azure, etc. under different accounts.

I think I want this more than any other feature.

Active discussions on github only, I believe. See https://github.com/brave/brave-browser/issues/34. The issue number will show you how early it was asked for (current issue number is 15xxx) :wink: And one can summarize that its not going to happen due to upstream chromium issues.

1 Like

Lack of this feature kept me from switching (from FF to Brave) as well, for a long time, maybe a year.

But a few months or so ago I decided to bite the bullet and just try living without it and see how it went. Haven’t looked back.

In retrospect, I feel like the automated Brave privacy protections already fulfill 90% of what I’d get from Containers, without the overhead of managing them. I could be wrong.

I do have a few separate profiles still though, but this is because in Brave I can install different extension sets into different profiles; whereas with Firefox it was all-or-nothing, unless I wanted to create a new profile in FF as well, and then you’re back to square 1 again.

So I have a Shopping profile where I can install Honey and a few others that I don’t want reading all my history from my ‘Main’ or Default profile. In some ways this is actually better than FF + Containers.

All that aside, one thing I do miss about this arrangement is having all the bookmarks, history, etc. in the same instance/profile. And I don’t feel like setting up Sync multiple times for these profiles, it would be nice to just do it once and have everything there. So I’m considering the idea of syncing all the profiles together onto a single Sync Chain, but shutting off the Apps and Extensions sync. In theory it should work to get the bookmarks, history, etc. all in the same place.

Doesn’t solve the problem of automatically opening a given site in the ‘right’ profile but small price to pay for all the benefits. YMMV though.

2 Likes

I think you may have a misconception about conainers. With FF containers, nothing is shared, it’s like a new instance in the same window. If I login to Reddit in container 1, container 2 isn’t logged in. No cookies are shared between them. I’m sure that it can still be tracked with fingerprinting as they’ll know two browsers with the same IP and screen resolution would be on the site, but that can be mitigated with a shared IP VPN.

Yes, it is very needed, specially for a browser that claims the “best privacy online”.

After start using it on FF, i understand that “Container Feature” should be a base feature for every browser.

I also agree that this is a Killer Feature

It’s a very good option. We need it in Brave.

1 Like

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say, I don’t think containers are necessary at this point.

If you see my earlier post in this thread I give some high-level explanation. But if you look here you’ll see there’s a ton of protections enabled all the time, essentially automated, without the human cost and overhead of managing containers. https://brave.com/privacy-updates/

As I mentioned, I still use multiple profiles so that I can have multiple identities for the same site (e.g., multiple Google accounts) or different sets of extensions for different purposes. I could still see containers being useful for the former case. But for the second case, Containers (as implemented in Firefox) are totally useless, and in fact make things worse.

Hi everyone. New to Brave and happy to be here.

I will have to say myself, that the feature that I will miss most from my Firefox user experience is the containers feature.

Containers did a great job separating logins and cookies from the same sites if you have multiple accounts.

For example, I am an Office 365 admin for 5 different companies and I was struggling with the login credentials and cookies getting mixed up all the time. So I created a container for each one of them. This way, everything was clean and organized and no more mix-ups with logins and identities.

I hope that we will see such a feature in Brave soon.

I’m currently using Firefox as my main browser and Brave for when I need a chromium browser (for instance when using Meet). This is pretty annoying right now. The only thing that’s still keeping me from switching to Brave is the Firefox container tabs.

Yes Brave has a lot of amazing privacy and security features. But other browsers have that too. In the end nothing works better than completely containerising different environments. Currently only Firefox really provides this.

I want my work, banking, entertainment and Google websites not to be able to “see” eachother in any way but still have the convenience of having one browser window with tabs.

Yes there are profiles in most Chromium based browsers. But I think these serve a different purpose. They are useful if you have different users or use separate browser windows.

I think this feature would be KILLER. It would differentiate Brave from it’s competitors and instantly put Brave on top of all browsers privacy and security wise. This will be great for Brave and probably generate a lot of attention in the community.

Thanks for reading all of this! I hope you guys will seriously consider this.

I’d like to see this feature on Brave too.

That’s just the thing. Brave does site containerization for you already, automatically, without the baggage of manual container management. (And it’s getting better with every release.)

So if you aren’t separating things on the basis of needing multiple logins (different usernames) for a given site, then using Containers by hand is a bunch of unnecessary work in the Brave ecosystem.

Also, as a reminder (I have mentioned this before) – but those who are sticking with Firefox should bear in mind that Containers do not ‘contain’ your extensions. So for instance, if you use something like ‘Honey’ for shopping, this extension also has access to your other, potentially more sensitive containers. In either browser, Firefox or Chrom*-based browsers, you’d need a separate profile to split those out; but Chrom* (including Brave) makes this a bunch easier IMHO.

Not trying to come off like a propagandist or a fanboy here, I was in the same camp initially as well, until I had a firmer grasp of what Brave was already doing for me. And after I committed myself to a several-month period of kicking the tires with Brave I would never go back to the hassle of fiddling with Containers. “Letting go” has been great.

1 Like

This is the exact feature that makes containers awesome in FF. In fact, the extension itself is called “Multi-Account Containers.”

1 Like

Sure, but ‘multi-account’ is far from the only major role that Containers play in Firefox. It’s very much used as a cross-site anti-tracking mechanism.

As I mentioned earlier, you can still achieve the multi-account functionality using Profiles. And, as was also pointed out earlier, Profiles allow you to have separate extension sets in each which is not the case with Firefox’s Containers. (Sure, you can do Profiles in Firefox as well, but I suspect few use this functionality.)

Is one method better than the other, overall? I think that comes down to an individual’s use case. My point here is that, while the approaches are different, it’s important to recognize that many of the features that are commonly thought of as ‘missing’ in Brave are just being presented differently. And each approach has its own pros and cons – it isn’t an all-or-nothing bargain.

1 Like

you can still achieve the multi-account functionality using Profiles

One of the features I enjoy about multi-account containers in FF is the ability to mix tabs from different containers in the same user profile, even the same window. Visually it kind of looks like tab groups in Brave, but they have their own sets of cookies, etc.

Unless I’m missing something, it looks like profiles are a completely separate window with a completely separate set of settings, extensions, etc?

1 Like

No you’re right, mix 'n match between profiles is not possible within a single window in Brave; they’re maintained in separate windows, or sets of windows – although they’re easy enough to switch and access thru the menu or Ctrl+Shift+M. From a UX perspective I’d still give the nod to FF containers on this point though.

In my case it was more important to have different sets of extensions as I discussed in a previous post, which is something not currently provided by FF containers.

As far as settings go, in Brave some are installation-wide and some are profile-specific. I wish I knew of a good doc that delineated them, but I don’t. But for example, each profile will have its own set of search engines, bookmarks, visual settings, and so on – but something system-level like DNS settings is shared across profiles.

1 Like

The exact thing you’re describing as “not missing in Brave” is the reason I’m, with regrets, switching back to Firefox. Because it’s missing in Brave.

I don’t want separate profiles with separate extension sets, separate prefences, etc. I want my session manager extension to have access to everything I, a single person, do in my browser, and not have to manage separate histories and separate sets of session records like I’m two different people.

But I do want to be able to easily have separate accounts for, say, Github, without having to keep logging in and out.

It’s enough of a pain that I’m switching back to FF. The “privacy-centric browser” simply doesn’t do what I need, except by forcing even greater inconveniences on me. It’s great that you don’t need the things Brave doesn’t do, but that doesn’t mean other people don’t.

You would lose nothing if Brave implemented these features, but without them, we who need them lose the ability to use Brave. So I’m not sure why you’re arguing so forcefully against them, unless you have some personal reason for wanting a bunch of people (not yourself, but other people) to switch back to Firefox.

EDIT: Never mind, I’m switching back to Firefox right now.

To be quite frank, I don’t care what software you run on your computer. Not sure why you’re seemingly getting emotional about this, I’m just stating plain facts. The point of which, as I’ve explained repeatedly here, is that many of the use cases for Containers can be satisfied automatically with Brave’s built-in features without the added overhead of managing those features. And those facts can very easily go unnoticed when making the transition because nobody (myself included, apparently) is doing a good job of pointing them out.

As I probably also described earlier (I’ve already addressed some of your other points as well, maybe you should go back and read thru the rest of the thread and digest the meaning), I was in the same position before. Even now, I wish Brave did have Containers. But I have a. learned to live without them and achieve the same, or in many ways, better effect; b. realize development cycles are expensive and there are other things being done that are very effective; and c. also realize adding Containers on top of the Chromium base could potentially consume many of those cycles.

If enough dev cycles free up to add them then great, I’d welcome the feature with open arms. But I’m quite more satisfied with Brave’s capabilities than I was with Firefox, in totality.

It’s a piece of software. If you like Firefox better, go for it. Everyone’s use cases can be different. But if people are not aware of the full picture (yes, including your perspective) then they aren’t enjoying the benefits of being informed.