Downloads not working on Windows 10

Description of the issue: When I try to download files from Brave Browser on my Windows 10 machine occasionally it will just not work. There is no notification of the download, reference in the downloads section of the settings, or prompt for a download location (I have my settings set to prompt every time a download is made). The icon on my taskbar has the green progress flashing as well (image below).

The problem is usually fixed when I restart Brave, but it will also give me a popup for a “Download is in progress” before I can close it - even though it’s not downloading (image below)

However, after I close Brave I can’t start it back up immediately, because I have to end an additional process from the Task Manager before I can start the browser again. The image below is my Task Manager, with tasks sorted in alphabetical order after I have closed Brave and hit exit on the Download in progress prompt:

I assumed this task was a leftover from the download attempt? Maybe I’m wrong and it’s a random background process, but I can’t start Brave again until I end the process. However, when there is no downloading error, the leftover process is not in the Task Manager.

After I restart Brave my ability to download typically goes back to normal

How can this issue be reproduced?
I am not sure how this issue can be reproduced. I reinstalled Brave earlier today (after the issue had persisted for about a month) and it’s still there. When I switch browsers, to say, Google Chrome, I can download files fine, which leads me to believe it’s not an issue from my computer.

Expected result:
Not sure what to put here

Brave Version( check About Brave):
Version 1.32.115 Chromium: 96.0.4664.93 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Additional Information:
Thanks in advance to anyone reading this, you made it to the end of the post! :slight_smile:

Seems the error might be limited to your browser itself, as no other users seem to have faced such a problem. Try clearing cache and cookies, it might solve the problem.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.