Crash From Tweetdeck

*5 times in the past two days, Brave has crashed completely.
*It’s a very particular issue. Crash occurs when going from Tweetdeck to my Furaffinity page (https://www.furaffinity.net/user/scythemouse/) via the bookmark on the toolbar.

1. From Tweetdeck webpage, clicking on bookmark on toolbar
  • Browser crashes

*0.68.139 Chromium: 77.0.3865.90 (Official Build) (64-bit)

*(This is one of those things that crashlogs would help with.)

We did have an issue with tweetdeck the other day, which was caused by a cookie issue. Maybe related? Seems to be fixed now. Though this was related to the logging in process of tweetdeck.

Both tweetdeck and your site work fine, and load without a crash. Does still occur right now? Does happen in private mode?

It’s still doing this almost without pause on both right now.

@scythemouse,

You can automatically send crash logs by going to Settings --> Additional --> Privacy/Security --> Send crash reports. You also send them manually and get the crash ID from brave://crashes

Additionally, as @fanboynz asked, does this occur in a Private browsing window as well? Have you tried any other troubleshooting steps?

As I said before, yes, I have had this happen in a private window. Doing which is the only troubleshooting step I can think of.

Further troubleshooting involving selective deactivation of extensions has yielded nothing but a glut of crash reports for Brave to read, which I ALSO should be able to read, yet can’t.

Furthermore, this has now also started happening from my Yahoo mail page.

@scythemouse,
Is your PC currently part of a Sync chain? If so, can you try removing the browser from the chain and seeing if that helps with the crashing?

It’s removed, but it’s still doing it. It’s now doing it from manual address entry and address bar searches.

@scythemouse,
So when you launch Brave and try to go to any site, the browser is crashing? Some things to try:

• Disabling Hardware acceleration in Settings --> Additional Settings --> System --> Hardware Acceleration(make sure you relaunch the browser when prompted).
  • Instead of a Private window, can you try opening a “Guest” window (Profile icon --> Open Guest window) and see if the browser crashes? The guest window will have new/fresh profile data which will help use narrow down what type of issue we’re dealing with.
  • Try downloading and installing the Brave Beta build (this will not overwrite or interfere with your current installation – they’ll run side by side without issue) on the same PC and see if you get the same results?

*Hardware acceleration was already off.
*Guest window crashes
*Beta seemingly does not crash, but this is not a reliable, on-the-clock error

@scythemouse,
Use the Beta build for a while and see if the browser crashes. Additionally, you may want to clear your cache/browsing data in your Brave stable installation to see if that helps – will the browser window stay open long enough to do this?
Settings --> History --> Clear browsing data

Cache was already cleared recently, then cleared again to see if this would fix the problem. Obviously, it has not.

The only thing I can think of that would be causing this at this time is removing the device from a Sync chain (which you did and didn’t resolve) or potentially a particular extension you have installed is causing conflict, but if that were the case then the Guest window should not have crashed.

Since the Beta is working (for now at least), this points to an issue isolated to the Stable installation rather than Brave and your system. If you’ve already cleared your cache and browsing data, you may want to try an un/reinstall of stable and see what that shakes loose.

I know that’s not ideal, but you can export your bookmarks, as well as passwords as HTML and CSV files (respectively) reimport them into the fresh installation.

• Exporting Bookmarks is fairly straightforward
  • You can export passwords in Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords but to import them, you’ll need to flip a flag to enable this functionality. Type brave://flags into the address bar and search for the #password-import flag. Enable it and relaunch when prompted. You’ll now have the option to Import passwords (in same menu as export).

Let me know what you find out.

Fresh re-install w/extensions: Crashes
Fresh re-install w/extensions off: Crashes

Which extensions are you using?

Adobe Acrobat
Alternate Player for Twitch.tv
Checker Plus for Gmail™
Picarto Link Warning Redirect
Pop up blocker for Chrome™ - Poper Blocker
Webmail Ad Blocker

Possible to disable all the extensions, then enable one-by-one (maybe doing a browser restart in between) to see which one is causing the issue?

I don’t see how it could be an extension when it crashes while they are all off.

The only thing I can fathom from all of this is that it seems to be more about where I’m coming from than going to. The pages that do this all seem to be script or cookie heavy.

Could you try in a new profile? try in Brave Beta?