Cartoons of the Day: December 6, 2018 | National Review

Description of the issue
Page loads but does not display image content

Exact URL of the website in question

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? [Default states are: Block: Ads/Trackers, 3rd Party Cookies, 3rd Party Fingerprinting Allow: Encrypt Connections enabled (HTTPS), Scripts] (yes/no)

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? (yes/no)
No

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no)
No

Does the site function as expected when using Chrome? (yes/no)
Don’t have Chrome

What Brave version/Build are you using when you encounter the issue?(About Brave info)

1 Like

The first thing I would do would be to update to the latest release.
You are currently using the Muon Brave build (v0.25.2). We have since deprecated Brave Muon in favor of this:

I highly recommend you install the new build and enjoy a much better browsing experience.
It runs in parallel with the Muon version you have installed now, so you don’t have to uninstall or overwrite anything and you can even import data from your previous Brave install into the new build.

If you decide you’d like to stick with the version you’re using now and want to resolve the problem, let me know and we can continue further troubleshooting for the Muon build.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Just downloaded this version: Version 0.56.15 Chromium: 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Still does not display.

Bob McClure

@altobob, you’re absolutely right.
After some testing it looks like National Review has some tricks up their sleeve with respect to detecting ad-blocking software.
The only way to get the page to display (right now) is to set your ads control to Allow ads and trackers in your Shields panel for the site. This will display the content but is not an ideal solution.

As such, I’ve opened an issue for this on our GitHub for the team to review. Link to it is here:

What I do as a workaround is after the page is up, I copy the url and paste it into Firefox. Interestingly enough, there is no trouble with the rest of the National Review pages that I have observed.

Bob McClure

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.