Can't capture a web page using Wayback Machine even with Shields down - It only works on incognito window

Description of the issue
Not sure if this is a bug, but I can’t use Wayback Machine to capture a page.
When I try to capture a page, I always get HTTP ERROR 400.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Disable any extensions you have.
  2. Open https://archive.org/web/
  3. Turn off Brave Shield
  4. Enter the URL that you want to archive under “Save Page Now”, then click “Save Page”.

1. It will show an error.

This problem doesn’t happen on Incognito Window. Just repeat the steps above, but open Wayback Machine on Incognito Window. It will successfully archive the page.

Exact URL of the website in question
https://archive.org/web/

Did the issue present with default Shields settings? [Default states are: Block: Ads/Trackers, 3rd Party Cookies, 3rd Party Fingerprinting Allow: Encrypt Connections enabled (HTTPS), Scripts] (yes/no)
Yes.

Does the site function as expected when Shields are turned off? (yes/no)
No.

Is there a specific Shields configuration that causes the site to break? If so, tell us that configuration. (yes/no)
No. Whether Brave Shield are turned on or off, the issue still happens.

Does the site function as expected when using Chrome? (yes/no)
Yes.

What Brave version/Build are you using when you encounter the issue?(About Brave info)
Version 0.56.12 Chromium: 70.0.3538.77 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Windows 10 Home 1709 x64

@onmyoji, the site does work on my end with Shields down. Shields up throws a sever error. Tested using Release build 0.56.12 Win10.

Click the lock icon image next to the URL and see if anything is blocked in the panel. Also (from there) click Site Settings and check to see if anything is explicitly being blocked. It not, try clearing all browsing data for the site and trying again.

Interestingly, the site does archive as expected in the Beta and Dev builds. There’s a good chance this will get fixed along with an update.

Let me know what you find out.

1 Like

Oh ok, I’ll just wait until the next update then. Thanks!

@onmyoji, v0.56.14 released today (live now). Does the issue persist?

Clearing the cookies and local storage for archive.org solved the problem. Previously I forgot to clear the local storage.

Thanks for your help!

2 Likes

My pleasure!
Glad it got resolved.