Cannot update from 0.19.88 to current

Cannot update from Version 0.19.88 to current. Always getting the same message, when I click “Update” a few minutes later, the same question appears again. If I check the version, its always the same.

I tried to instal the newest version of Brave: This works find BUT data is NOT migrated from the old to the new version!

@brafe,
Thanks for reaching out! That’s quite the version jump you’re making there! Luckily we have some documentation to make the process as smooth as possible. Please see the following comprehensive article for users upgrading from Brave Muon to Brave Core:

Please let me know if you have any further questions or if anything is unclear.

OK, i transfered at lot by hand… seems to work now except it doesnt safe passwords!!! Why?

@brafe.
You should have been able to easily transfer data by going (in Brave core, new) to Settings --> Bookmarks --> Import bookmarks and Settings and selecting Brave (old) in the drop-down box. This would import any data you’ve selected int he check boxes into your new installation.

Can you elaborate? Are you saying that new passwords in which you’re prompted to save (and do so) are not reflected in the save passwords list?

Yes exactly.
Nothing happens.

@brafe,
Sorry but

Is this in response to using the Import bookmarks and settings option, or the second part wherein new passwords entered are not saved?

2nd part

I didn’t use the import function. I copied and pasted from the library folder.

But the password-not-saving-issue is something different, not working at all.

@brafe,

Meaning you copied the ~Library/Application Support/brave folder into ~Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware?

Further, if you look in the ~Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware folder, is there a Brave-Browser sub-folder contained here as well?

something like that… yes

yes

Can you please elaborate and try to provide as much detail in your answers as possible so we can get the issue resolved?

I really do not remember but I can show you whats in the actual folder:

@brafe,
Can you tell me what happens when you try to add a password to the saved passwords list? After hitting the prompt to Save password, if you navigate to Settings --> Autofill --> Passwords, does the information not appear there at all? Or does it appear there initially, then disappear on close/relaunch?

no

nothing happens, they don’t even appear for a second

@brafe,
What data do you have imported (manually or otherwise) into the new Brave browser? If you don’t have any (or only a small bit) – I’d suggest we do a complete reinstall because something is obviously screwy here. Ensure you uninstall/remove Brave files:

1. Move .app file to trash
  2. navigate to ~Library/Application Support/BraveSoftware, delete this folder.
  3. Remove icon from dock
  4. Empty trash
  5. Return to the official download page and reinstall.

After installing – try using the Import function to fetch your old data from the old Brave installation.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.