Description of the issue:
On some websites, I can log in using my Google account as normal.
On other websites, the pop-up window appears, but then immediately disappears with no login.
NOTE: I have two separate Brave profiles. This error only displays on one of them. I clicked the Brave Shields icon on both profiles for the same website (the one I cannot log into), and I copied all the settings from the “good” one to the “bad” one, but the behavior persisted.
How can this issue be reproduced?
- Login to outschool.com using Google sign-in succeeds.
- Login to upwork.com using Google sign-in fails.
Google sign-in is successful on all websites.
I have looked at several different threads on the web related to this issue. I have tried allowing all cookies, to no effect. (Oddly, the profile in which login works still has the setting “Block cross-site cookies” instead.) I have tried “Shields down”. I have tried clearing Google cookies. I have tried clearing all browser history since the dawn of time.
Haven’t thought this through much yet, but as a first stab, under
brave://settings/socialBlocking do you have this enabled?
I’m thinking maybe unrelated but it’s an easy thing to check.
Also, I do notice this on the Upwork Google login flow:
Note the URL of the attempted pop-up. Might simply be getting killed by the pop-up blocker.
Hi, thanks for your quick reply! To your two points:
- Yes, “Allow Google login buttons on third party sites” is enabled.
- I’m not sure where that pop-ups dialogue box is or how to get to it. Maybe that’s a basic thing but I’m basic-er.
One thing I just tried was, during the 1.5 seconds that the Google login pop-up appears, I was able to grab the URL in the pop-up’s address bar. I then opened a new regular tab and opened that URL. What I got was this (animated) on a white screen:
OK, no worries.
The 2nd screenshot I showed is in the actual URL bar when I went thru the login steps on that site. You should see it up there just like in the screenshot, and you can click on it and allow pop-ups for that site. (Not sure if you’ll have to reload the page after, but if nothing happens after allowing pop-ups, try a Reload.)
The other thing you can try is going to
brave://settings/content/siteDetails?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.upwork.com (just as you see it there) and change this setting:
But it might be easier to just use the 1st method.
I don’t see anything on the right of my address bar like in your screenshot. Anyway, I tried changing the settings for upwork.com, but that didn’t do anything. And then I tried clearing all data for that site, and still no dice.
It’s really perplexing to me why I can open this website in a different Brave profile but not in this one (the one where I actually want to view the site). So I’ve been using Firefox for viewing Upwork, which is a bit of a hassle but oh well…
This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.